Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Ok so here is a review/ complaint of my 2019 Polaris sportsman 850sp touring.

I bought this machine after tons of research and wish somebody would of left a comment like I’m about too.

Brass tax, I regret buying this atv.
the reasoning behind this is something so simple it will blow your minds or your motor....

I bought this atv new from my local dealer. Said it was an amazing machine for what I wanted to do, and he wasn’t even close.
If anyone buys this atv you can only ride it in winter months when the earth is frozen or on dry days. Completely dry.... the radiator is totally exposed to the wheels splashing mud and as you can guess, does not take much to clog and overheat the engine! I am NOT talking about going mud bogging with some pals....

On multiple occasions my wife and I have taken our once loved atv trail ridding at a local atv park and been very disappointed and stranded in the woods waiting for the engine to cool down enough to safely drive it 3 minutes before it over heats again, just to make it to a hose and clean the radiator.

I made some custom splash guards for the sides of the radiator to help keep the mud from slinging into it, and it does help! BUT it’s still a problem..

So today I call my dealer and ask for help, but I was informed that this is just how the new atvs are made and there isn’t much I can do to prevent it. EXCEPT for buying a relocation kit for the radiator that will VOID my warranty AND they don’t even sell from Polaris!!! Not too mention it would look dumb as can be as I have a factory storage box on the front so how would that even work?

my brother inlaw has a slightly older sportsman 570 touring and his radiator is completely shielded from the wheels, from the factory... that’s where I got the Side shields idea ok, but my dealer also told me that byme doing as I have it can restrict the airflow to the radiator and cause it too overheat...

Longer story short, I feel like Polaris does NOT care if you enjoy you’re atv as long as you bought it! Really wish I hadn’t bought this in winter months and found the problem earlier and realized that they can’t even fix it! How ridiculous.

I’ve always been very fond of Polaris but after this experience,we are not interested in buying a Polaris sxs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
sorry for your problems. I would consider removing some of the antifreeze/cooling fluid and putting in a bottles of Purple Ice. That stuff works. That should be good or at least buy you time until your warranty expires. When your warranty expires and if the purple ice isn't enough, then consider a relocate kit. They look good when done right.

Could also just flush all the old antifreeze/coolant and put in some quality fluid. Anything to help really. Ive got a RVS tune on my machine which kicks on my fans 20-25 degrees faster. That would also help but its not super cheap.

Can we get some pics of your shielding? I dont have a touring but do have a 570. No overheat issues here. I do take it through quit alot of mud, thinking I do have some shielding.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Something doesn’t seem right. Shouldn’t be overheating that easy otherwise it would be a common issue and complaint. Maybe you have an air lock in your system, that has been known to caused some grief. Have you kept an eye on your motor temp and when the fan turns on? A tune from RVS will lower the temp the fan turns on at and help and you’ll gain some ponies, but it isn’t cheap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for your problems. I would consider removing some of the antifreeze/cooling fluid and putting in a bottles of Purple Ice. That stuff works. That should be good or at least buy you time until your warranty expires. When your warranty expires and if the purple ice isn't enough, then consider a relocate kit. They look good when done right.

Could also just flush all the old antifreeze/coolant and put in some quality fluid. Anything to help really. Ive got a RVS tune on my machine which kicks on my fans 20-25 degrees faster. That would also help but its not super cheap.

Can we get some pics of your shielding? I dont have a touring but do have a 570. No overheat issues here. I do take it through quit alot of mud, thinking I do have some shielding.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shields aren’t anything fancy but it’s better than the rad being wide open lol.
I’ve heard of the tune before but I’m not after power or early fan on temps. I can leave the fan run forever and it would still overheat if the radiator is clogged.

Just a big mess I didn’t know of and don’t really appreciate being told “yeah there’s nothing we can do”

the way my dealer was talking it is an issue.

Yes we rode it for 2 days at hatfield/McCoy’s during cold days, and had no problems!
we can ride it in the yard for hours on end and the fan comes on at about 198 and off around 160? Not positive on the off temp but it does cycle and is fine fine until any kind of splashing mud

·
Registered
261 Posts
Still doesn’t seem right to me. I don’t have a touring but I cake my rad with mud and don’t have any issues. Come home spray it off, use compressed air on it when dry and I’m good to go. I can’t imagine how a bit of mud would cause it to overheat like that. Hopefully some members with 2up’s will provide some insight.

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
171 Posts
Wow...I’m baffled to, I have a ‘19 850SP, not touring, I’ve never had any over heat or high temp issues. I really wonder if the air lock issue mentioned before is the problem. I think the bad taste you got was the dealer, I’ve had that to. Their I don’t give a shit attitude after you’ve bought is a big slap in the face. One thing I’m sure of is the people on this site will help you fix it to no end. Awesome bunch of people!!!
Have faith!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll look into the air lock for sure!

other than that, I am at a loss and on the verge of giving up, selling it and getting a Honda talon.

ive saw people with packed rads too but mine gets slightly dirty and I’m going into limp mode.
Any help is amazing

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
Bud side shields/gaurds or not your problem is your radiator is clogged, BOTTOM LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to pay it more attention and solve YOUR problem!!!!!! NOT POLARIS"S!! NOT THE DEALERS!!! YOURS!!!

This is what you need: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Radiator-Genie-All-Purpose-Air-Water-Cleaner-Air-Wand-Water-Wand-Auto-ATV-Farm/619885620?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=4493&&adid=22222222227299002279&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=372590638011&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-792651655108&wl5=9051564&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113548537&wl11=online&wl12=619885620&veh=sem.

Not trying to be a D!CK in any way shape or form just trying to get the point across and I'm subtle as a sledge hammer!! The rad needs to be cleaned every 2-4 rides depending on the conditions. Good luck man!! You have a BADA$$ machine it just needs to be maintained accordingly.

Reactions: sportsmandan

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
FYI I just cleaned the rad on my 1k today in preparation for 5 days at HMT and then driving 16hrs to NH Ride the Wilds for 4 days. Anywho the 1k has 20hrs on it with no "mudding" and ten of those 20hrs was break-in. Let me say the rad was caked!! I made this a few years ago when I was having a hell of a time keeping temps under control. Well once I had started to implement this tool my overheating troubles were eliminated unless I slacked on my due diligence!!!

Reactions: RoyR80

·
Registered
37 Posts
Something is wrong with your machine. I ride in Northern Canada, and we either have nasty mud, or snow. Never had an overheating issue ever.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bp405 I’ve been in construction my entire life, I have thick skin lol so no worries.
aa for cleaning the rad, I spray it out after every ride. I remove the truck and get in there with the hose and spray it clean from both sides.

Hopefully I get time this weekend and I’ll flush the coolant and get some good good haha see if that works!
As for the air lock possibly, I’ll roll that sucker from one end of my yard to the next if I gotta to get the air out lol maybe drill some “breather holes” in the block! Ok that was a joke, but at this point it’s just a garage decoration, and hauls the yard buggy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would the air lock be possible from the factory? The bike is bone stock and dealer maintenanced for the time.

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
Remember cleaning the rad with a regular garden hose nozzle isn't going to get it done. There are only two ways I know to properly clean it. A wand like I linked or made and removing the radiator. I lied there's one more, pull all the front plastics off to gain full access to the rad.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It appears most of the “running hot” issues are on the twin cyl models. And the experienced people here stress the proper cleaning of the radiator. = I just ordered a radiator genie. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Before the splash shields I put on it was super easy to get into the radiator to clean and I’m very meticulous when it comes to cleaning my machine. I’ve taken the plastic off twice and deep cleaned it already haha

I can see through the rad great so there is definitely not a clog issue until I go ridding. After an hour on mucky trails we are sitting in the woods with the storage box off cleaning the rad with water bottles and letting it cool off.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Before the splash shields I put on it was super easy to get into the radiator to clean and I’m very meticulous when it comes to cleaning my machine. I’ve taken the plastic off twice and deep cleaned it already haha

I can see through the rad great so there is definitely not a clog issue until I go ridding. After an hour on mucky trails we are sitting in the woods with the storage box off cleaning the rad with water bottles and letting it cool off.
Well you certainly sound very diligent and precise. I’m a little baffled, but I’m sure the experts here will come up with a cure for you, just might take a little time.

·
Registered
247 Posts

PURPLE ICE is the biggest mistake you can make. I had a 2001 Can-am and at that time owners were using that junk to solve overheating problem. IT NEVER WORKED. It only made things worst.
I have a 2018 stock sportsman 850 and have never had a problem with over heating or near over heating. But I don't mud. Here riding in CO, UT and AZ high country we have better thing to do then PLAY in the mud. I run with many big bore machines, 1000 Can-am and Polaris; 800/850 Can-am and Polaris and none have a cooling problem. But I repeat, WE DO NOT MUD.
Once you get mud on the rad fins there is nothing you can do to completely clean the rad. You can spray and hose wash all you want but it will not come completely clean. It is like your auto body. It gets road dirt on it but but no spray hose or garden hose will get it clean. It takes soap water and rag washing to get the dirt film removed. It is this film that builds up on the fins and insulates them from cooling. And as the film continues to build up the problem only get worst. I also can compare it to my solar panels on the Motor Home. As the dirt film builds up the output only gets worst. And then I must wash them with a rag to get them clean.

·
10,591 Posts
I don't "mud" at all unless I need to go through to get somewhere but I do ride a LOT of muddy trails on my 1k. I DO NOT carry anything to wash the radiator on the trail and I've NEVER had a heat problem. Either you're hitting every mudhole you come to wide open and nose first or there is something seriously wrong with your machine's cooling system.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts