Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 sportsman 850 trail edition with 300 km on it. Went into a puddle and right side sunk in so exhaust just went under and couldn’t move. Hit kill switch and buddy winched me out after couple min. Bike wouldn’t start so put on incline and pulled drain plug for clutch and belt housing and watched about 4 litres of water come out. Plugs were wet and water in the oil. WTF!!! My 2011 400 ho has over 5000 km and have never had this problem and been through way worse. Can anyone relate or explain how this happened? Brand new bike, little bit of water and intakes we’re not even close to being under water.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
I noticed that the exhaust on my clutches is much lower on my 18' 570 then it is on my 2011 800. It's like they went backwards. But the biggest problem was the machine shut off. If that didn't happen you wouldn't have gotten as much water in the clutch housing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that was stupid. Should have kept it going but my friend for some reason was yelling at me to shut it down cause exhaust was under. Anyway water still shouldn’t have gotten in all the way to the engine through clutch exhaust should it???

·
Registered
447 Posts
You should have never shut it down and your friend isn’t too bright for telling you to just cause the exhaust was under. Water can get into your engine through the exhaust when it’s not running, which is likely what happened. The clutch air exhaust is actually lower than your muffler and that’s where the water came in there. Pulling the drain plug was right, but you should open up the clutch housing to make sure there isn’t any dirt or gunk built up in there now. Oil change is in order and put a bit of seafoam in the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Only time you shut it down is when the engine intake is going to go under. Other then that you definitely want it running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 138493
Only time you shut it down is when the engine intake is going to go under. Other then that you definitely want it running.
ok thanks a lot. Was gonna play stupid and take it to dealer seeing as I just got it couple weeks ago and there is only 300 km on it and it has 4 years of warranty and hoping they could fix it up like new. I’m just worried there could be more damage after I go through all the steps to dry it out and start it up. What you think?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Won’t be covered under warranty and once they know it’s been submerged they’ll use that excuse to not cover most any other issues that come up.
Go through it thoroughly, change oil and filter, pull plugs and expel any water, make sure plugs are good and clean, open up clutch housing and thoroughly clean it with dry rag and compressed air. Put a tank of premium in there with a 1/4 can of sea foam and let er rip.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Pull your air filter out and clean your air box as well. Water may have gotten in there as well.

·
11,155 Posts
Don't chicken out!!
Once you commit to go you don't ever let up until the machine just won't go any farther... Makes no difference if you're goin up, through or across an obstacle.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
When in doubt throttle out, right Polman!?!?!

Reactions: FPD218

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes and normally I do throttle it out it’s like I had A minor stroke and shut it off almost immediately. My buddy drives a 2014 grizzly and I also have a buddy on an arctic cat and two of them are always almost fully submerged shutting bikes off standing on seats getting pics and than starting up no problem and off they go.

·
11,155 Posts
Yeah, chit happens sometimes. Stopping in water is NEVER a good idea no matter what you're riding and if you plan to be in deep a lot you'd better be sealing up everything.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Polman raises a good point about sealing things up. to add to that you should die-electric grease all the electrical connectors and plug wires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I did most of the things you guys have suggested and starts up and runs great so far. Now before I seal everything up what do you suggest I do as far as water proofing? I used the dielectric grease already but anything else I could do Like silicone in places? And is there any fix for the clutch air exhaust setup? And thanks again for all the help.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Sounds like you have a good handle on things now. Just be mindful in the deep stuff or you'll have to start adding rad relocates and snorkels, lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I’m noticing that the exhaust has some moisture/water droplets coming out. I am currently on my second oil flush and wondering how long I should run the new oil in between oil changes? I have only run it for a couple min in between so far. Do I keep it at idle til the moisture stops coming out of exhaust?

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
302 Posts
Be better to get it up to operating temp for a while to burn any moisture out. Drive it for 30 minutes at least

·
Registered
447 Posts
That could be moisture still in the exhaust pipe or saturated in the exhaust packing. Run it at operating temp and burn all that out like 98whitelightning suggested. For waterproofing there really isn’t much unless you plan on going past the tires. Then you should look into a snorkel kit, but it sounds like it was just a one off for you so not sure if you’d want to go that route.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so went for a little rip and I need to give more throttle to move whether I’m in Low, high or reverse. Is this a result of there being water still through out the bike or something to do with the clutch? I cleaned it pretty good I thought. It is harder just to get it going from a stop like it lost its peppyness but seems pretty good after that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
What RPM is it engaging at? Sounds like the belt might be slipping a bit. Did you check the condition of the belt when you had the cover off? Any glazing? Also sometimes they engage a bit harder when they are cold and then run smoother when warm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts