Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here. I live on a farm, so ATVs and SxS's are a necessity out here in Upstate NY. I have a 2000 Honda Foreman ES with multiple internal issues, but no signs of damage, water or fire-wise. I had a 2020 Sportsman XP 1000, only 7 months old, no issues whatsoever. So, my mother was using our brush-hog (I'm a teenager writing on her behalf) and her leg got extremely hot from the machine. She looked down and saw flames, so she rolled off, getting the brush hog off. 5 minutes later, and it was engulfed. Again, this machine had no issues that the showroom or us knew about. The front left rim was melted into the shape of a malnourished dinosaur (no joke there) and the only thing that's left is the engine (Partially melted), the exhaust and frame. We contacted USAA as it was insured, and we're contacting Polaris now. Does anyone have a guess as to why it caught out of nowhere? The grass was low and the fire was on the left side before it spread.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,492 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

That sucks. My guess is that grass got caught up in the left front axle and under constant rotation caused enough friction to start the grass on fire then spread

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

That sucks. My guess is that grass got caught up in the left front axle and under constant rotation caused enough friction to start the grass on fire then spread
It wasn't that, the fire department said it was internal, near the engine.

·
12,787 Posts
Pulling the brush hog may may have caused enough exhaust heat to get the plastic started burning but that all on the right side of the machine. More likely is a possible fuel leak around the fuel rail or injectors. All the fuel related items are on the left side of the engine as are the wires from the stator which may have rubbed and shorted out and arcing.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Were you pulling the Brush hog in High gear?

Reactions: MrEd

·
Registered
842 Posts
Not the first I've heard of a polaris catching fire.
Hopefully no one injured.
It's great that you had it insured but, I'd be contacting Polaris to see if they will step up and replace it. 7 months old, just 1 month past the warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Believe me - it caught fire for a reason - what the reason was needs to be determined - I would report it to the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission)
I tried, but the VIN number was melted along with 95% of everything else.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pulling the brush hog may may have caused enough exhaust heat to get the plastic started burning but that all on the right side of the machine. More likely is a possible fuel leak around the fuel rail or injectors. All the fuel related items are on the left side of the engine as are the wires from the stator which may have rubbed and shorted out and arcing.
That's most likely what happened. Is there any possibility of it being the chain case?

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
I tried, but the VIN number was melted along with 95% of everything else.
Your VIN number is also on your insurance paperwork you said you had

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,865 Posts
Vin number is also stamped on the frame. Unless the frame melted to a pile of goop you’d be able to get it with a little elbow grease.
The front left rim was melted into the shape of a malnourished dinosaur (no joke there) and the only thing that's left is the engine (Partially melted), the exhaust and frame.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts