Polaris ATV Forum banner

2020 scrambler xp 1000 s blowing belts

7K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  nmassel94 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, hoping I can get some help here from you guys.
I've got a 2020 scrambler xp 1000 s, it's a great machine other than I've had to put 5 belts on in 900Km. It's been to the dealer numerous times for the same issue. They covered the 1st belt under warranty. But the other 4 have been out of my pocket.
They finally came to a conclusion that the secondary clutch was worn out internally and replaced the clutch assembly under warranty but no new belt(current belt has about 100kms on it)

Went for my first ride since new secondary clutch, and belt blew after riding 4 kms. Belt didn't even blow while riding the bike, we stopped for a "pop" and wen we went to leave a few minutes later belt blew on start up...
I've called polaris on the issue and they tell me to take it back to the dealer. If anyone has any ideas as to what I could check myself tbatd be great. I'm a licensed mechanic so I have no problem doing everything myself but I'd rather not keep blowing 200 plus dollars a belt...

Sorry for the long post just hoping for help! Thanks

#3 ·
Dealer Is assuring me clutches are in line, but I've had issues with dealers saying shits right when its not....
Any recommendations on a good clutch alignment tool? I've seen a few different styles.

I did find the belts started lasting longer after I did a clutch kit but still not more than 150 kms... should get well over 1500 no problem from a belt

#7 ·
I have the adjustable kit from QSC, I've tried the quad in both stock form and with clutch kit. Game plan I think is to verify clutch alignment and if it's spot on then I'm going to talk with Ryan at rvs, I have a tune from him as well. But I've yet to install it cuz wanted to make sure i wasn't going to pop a belt again. Well here we are lol

#8 ·
What tires are you running???

Sounds like you have done your do diligence as far as talking to the players in the clutch biz!!! Hunter Works and RVSPerformance are definitely the ones that can get you on track.

See this is tricky what I'm going to suggest and not necessarily the answer but a viable solution and that is to just bite the bullet and get a new aftermarket primary and secondary. From the likes of STM or CVTech.

Other then that and I'm guessing this has been addressed as you have had it to the dealer so many times but just throwing it out there possibility the trans or motor is moving due to a broken mount or maybe its not bolted in tight. IDK that just like a hail mary, but something to look at.

Hey bud good luck I know this sux being a new machine and all.

#9 ·
What tires are you running???

Sounds like you have done your do diligence as far as talking to the players in the clutch biz!!! Hunter Works and RVSPerformance are definitely the ones that can get you on track.

See this is tricky what I'm going to suggest and not necessarily the answer but a viable solution and that is to just bite the bullet and get a new aftermarket primary and secondary. From the likes of STM or CVTech.

Other then that and I'm guessing this has been addressed as you have had it to the dealer so many times but just throwing it out there possibility the trans or motor is moving due to a broken mount or maybe its not bolted in tight. IDK that just like a hail mary, but something to look at.

Hey bud good luck I know this sux being a new machine and all.
I've tried stock tires with stock clutching, I've also ran it with QSC clutch kit and stock tires, and QSC kit with 31 inch moto havoks.

I've blown 3 belts while stock, and 2 with clutch kit and 31s. So in my opinion there is generally something wrong. I'm hoping I have time to get a call over to Ryan at rvs today and pick his brain on my situation.

I'd like to wait till I can get a belt to stay on this thing before I jam another set of clutches on it. Completely forgot to check motor mounts for not being tight... it definitely is a possibility

Appreciate everyone's help.

#11 ·
There was so much wrong information that made head explode. First of all there is a engine to transmission alignment on a SXS
but not On a ATV has both the input and output shafts are in the transmission and are not adjustable. And if it was not shimmed right then you couldn't shift it. Second no one has said a word about break in the belt is one of the most important things that you can do, I have seen new belt put on that did not make the day out and wasn't even run hard on it just didn't stop long enough for it make a cool down cycle. If it's over heated form the start it is done for. And one more thing that I can say I been useing a Gates Carbon filter C12 on my Sportsman XP 1000 for the last 740 miles and still look like new. The guy in the part department in the dealer told me to get the Gates and so far I Love it. Trust me a very easy break in is very important to belt life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.