Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding ATV's since about 2004, but this is my first NEW ATV since then. At the dealership the service manager mentioned "curing" the belt. What he explained is to drive the ATV and to get the belt warmed up and then shut it down and let it cool. Do that twice. Said it makes the belt almost never have a problem. Anybody else ever do this? Im gonna do it (bought atv last night) cuz he told me to, but thought it was weird.

Also told me to run in LOW gear for anything 20mph and under...unless towing a load. I had always thought that LOW was for mud and towing.

I know this ATV reviews great and everyone (for the most part) loves theirs. But what is up with the battery location. I lifted the seat to see the battery and I thought it was alien technology that didnt need a battery. :) Is there a way to "relocate" the battery to a more accessible location? Has anyone experience any issues with it being so low in the frame?

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Congrats on your new machine! What size Sportsman did you get? I do work for a dealership and as far as I know we have never told anyone about "curing the belt". Maybe that guy knows something the rest don't. Worth doing anyway.
As for the High and Low range thing. We have seen multiple debates here about using Low. Some say any time you are under 10MPH. Others say up to 30......I go by the terrain and the load. I can't stand the high RPM at 10mph in low. I use High for just about everything because I would rather replace a $100 belt than a couple grand for an engine that was bouncing off the rev limiter all the time. Never had a belt problem.
There are battery relocation kits, but most people just install a buss bar up near the front box so they can get to the terminals, add accessories or a battery tender.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a 570 base model. Headed to royal
Blue in Tennessee, in 3 weeks so I have a good bit of breaking in to do so I can give it an oil change before we go.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Ride Royal Blue was very cool, you will like it. Wife and I went a few years ago. Only got one full day there. I would like to go back again! Windrock was another park close to there if I remember right. Wouldn't mind going there too. I got all the break in hours finished last year at HMT. I think I came home with just over 20hrs on the machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve been to Royal Blue about 8 times. 600 miles of trails and on a busy day you might see 20 people. Hill climbs, mud and MILES of trails. Well marked and hopefully not too rutted out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts