Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a change to take her out of the yard. Loaded on the truck with no issues (2.5 miles). Get to Rocky Mountain and unload and bump the gas and get a popping (sounds like it’s coming from air breather. Not the exhaust.) )every time I ride it I let it warm up to 150 Degrees before I take off. ) just about every acceleration from a dead stop I’d get a pop. Now has 10 miles on it and not happy. Going to call the dealer mon am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also the dealer filled the tank and I added 1/4 gallon of Aviation fuel which is 100 octane when I had less than 1 mile on it. Pretty sure it’s a fouled plug!

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,348 Posts
Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
So change the spark plug, drain the 100 octane shit and put in 87 to 91 non ethanol or 89 to 93 ethanol blended fuel - too high of octane causes a loss of power and high exhaust temps in addition to being harder to ignite and requiring more advance in the ignition timing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So change the spark plug, drain the 100 octane shit and put in 87 to 91 non ethanol or 89 to 93 ethanol blended fuel - too high of octane causes a loss of power and high exhaust temps in addition to being harder to ignite and requiring more advance in the ignition timing.
Mr know it all there’s a 1/4 gallon mixed with 5! I run it in every Atv I ever owned and never had a issue which I usually mix half and half. Also run in my lawn mowers , 4 and 2 stroke snowmobiles and yes I’m changing the plugs to NGK. Also after looking through the forum there’s at least 5 others that are having the same problems with pump gas

·
Registered
546 Posts
🍿🍺

Reactions: MrEd

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed plugs and she’s running great. Ouch at 16 buck a pop for the NGKs which I picked up 4. Only took 3 part stores to find them!

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
Mr know it all there’s a 1/4 gallon mixed with 5! I run it in every Atv I ever owned and never had a issue which I usually mix half and half. Also run in my lawn mowers , 4 and 2 stroke snowmobiles and yes I’m changing the plugs to NGK. Also after looking through the forum there’s at least 5 others that are having the same problems with pump gas

OK Mr. chemist - what is your final octane rating and what are you gaining by mixing AV gas with pump gas? Of course you know you can mix two different octane fuels and get an octane higher than either base fuel? I usually leave it to the fuel blenders (chemists) to provide the proper octane of the fuel I use. My race bike loses power if the octane is over 95 so I run VP Racing 94 octane (Honda recommended a minimum of 93 octane) - maybe I should try 1 quart 100 octane T4 racing fuel mixed with 85 octane AG gas - that will yield an octane of ?? I'm relying on the chemist to provide that answer before I try it. No need to induce detonation by using too high of an octane fuel. Have you tried nitro-methane mixed 50/50 with diesel fuel?

Never mind - if it works for you, it must be right.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
133 Posts
Changed plugs and she’s running great. Ouch at 16 buck a pop for the NGKs which I picked up 4. Only took 3 part stores to find them!

Excellent. Aren't easy fixes great. Those plugs are like the ones for my Etec Ski Doo. Almost $40 for a pair of NGK plugs. Luckily they should last at least 3,000 miles in my sled.

·
Registered
570 SP
134 Posts
No need to induce detonation by using too high of an octane fuel. Have you tried nitro-methane mixed 50/50 with diesel fuel? induce detonation with to high of an octane fuel???????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK Mr. chemist - what is your final octane rating and what are you gaining by mixing AV gas with pump gas? Of course you know you can mix two different octane fuels and get an octane higher than either base fuel? I usually leave it to the fuel blenders (chemists) to provide the proper octane of the fuel I use. My race bike loses power if the octane is over 95 so I run VP Racing 94 octane (Honda recommended a minimum of 93 octane) - maybe I should try 1 quart 100 octane T4 racing fuel mixed with 85 octane AG gas - that will yield an octane of ?? I'm relying on the chemist to provide that answer before I try it. No need to induce detonation by using too high of an octane fuel. Have you tried nitro-methane mixed 50/50 with diesel fuel?

Never mind - if it works for you, it must be right.
The post was more about venting! But I run voice 110 in my drag sleds 100% and 100 av fuel mixed 50-50 with reg pump gas with a marine grade stabilizer. Most places around me want $4+ for non ethanol 91 gas when I can get 100 AV for less and save the 20mile haul. Maybe because I’m usually riding a Artic Cat. Only switched to Polaris atvs for about 5 years which I ran the same in my 700 and 800 with no issues.

·
Registered
263 Posts
just out of curiosity, green mountain 71, what's your logic in using AV gas in normally aspirated (non-racing) engines? from the above, it seems AV gas fouled a brand new plug and caused you needless aggravation.
could it be that the newer engines have tighter tolerances than engines of lore?

·
Registered
5 Posts
just out of curiosity, green mountain 71, what's your logic in using AV gas in normally aspirated (non-racing) engines? from the above, it seems AV gas fouled a brand new plug and caused you needless aggravation.
could it be that the newer engines have tighter tolerances than engines of lore?
"Most places around me want $4+ for non ethanol 91 gas when I can get 100 AV for less and save the 20mile haul. "

I would assume this is why.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts