Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
35 Posts
I guess my question is what are you using it for?

I needed something for farm work (plowing, hauling a trailer with dirt, trees, logs, horse shot,...) and so I chose an 850 since I knew it'd do all those things fine.

I guess when I describe bikes (pedal) to people that I looking to buy I say that there's the cheap end that that you'll regret and just sell, if you can, or replace and those are under $500. Then you have a big area for good quality and that ranges from around $700 to $1300. Those will last you decades and let you beat the shit out of them. About that threshold is stuff you either won't understand or don't need unless you're specifically in the market for it.

To me the 850 was in the middle area and I saw no need for a 1000 and when I see people show videos reviewing their 1000 I never see something that makes me envious. My 850 has a scary amount of power and hauls everything I need. It's comfortable, easy to use and was priced right. I couldn't see getting a 1000 unless someone made a good case. Plus less money on this meant more room in budgeting and credit (sigh) for a new mower next year

·
11,565 Posts
Go for the gusto Tim. Get the 1000 so there's no regrets. In the whole scheme of things the price difference really isn't that much. The only guys that'll tell you you don't need the 1k are those that settled for a 850 lol. :)

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
35 Posts
Go for the gusto Tim. Get the 1000 so there's no regrets. In the whole scheme of things the price difference really isn't that much. The only guys that'll tell you you don't need the 1k are those that settled for a 850 lol. :)
I wouldn't just assume a blanket statement like that

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
3,225 Posts
I always thought a blanket statement left you with a warm feeling?

Reactions: Luann and polman500

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I agree on the blanket statement, though I bought an 850 in 2015, My next will be a 1k, soon! Got abosultely nothing to do with that 4-letter-word "NEED"; has everything to do with "want". Want may look like like a 4-letter-word but it ain't! ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I actually chose my sp850 camo edition over the 1000xp. I knew what upgrades I wanted to do. I rode my friends 1000xp quite a bit and had decided to get one but while looking I found a dealer three hours from my with the 850sp camo edition for 8600.00 with no additions fees except tax. The dealer I was looking at the 1000xp wouldn’t budge on price. I saved over 2000 on the 850 and even more than than versus the 1000xp. Had that not been in play I would’ve come home with the xp. The 850 was such a great deal I couldn’t pass it up. Bought it November last year so terrific deal. Cant find those now. We are looking for a new quad for my wife and nobody wants to take less than msrp around here IF you can find what u want. My son has a 19 570 eps and it’s a good quad considered that option too but I did want more power. Either bike is a good choice. Buy what you WANT the first time. No regrets for that afterward

·
Premium Member
2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE Touring
260 Posts
The only guys that'll tell you you don't need the 1k are those that settled for a 850 lol. :)
That's my opinion, lol.
(Yes, I read the "blanket statement" bit)
So maybe "need" isn't the word. But I've ran across a few 850's to which said, "I'd have a 1k, but the price, I couldn't "do" it..."

·
11,565 Posts
Yep, I wanted a 1k from the time I first read about them when they were introduced in 2015. I looked at several really good deals on 850's and had to fight off the salesmen telling me... "Oh, you don't really need a 1k. The 850 will do everything it will do and and at a much better price." But that isn't what I really wanted.
I KNEW I would love the 850 after riding and patching up my old 2006 800 for many years and many thousands of miles. I kept talking myself out of jumping on one because I KNEW I'd regret it later for not getting what I REALLY wanted.
I waited and watched and kept riding that old 800 while Polaris worked out most of the new-model bugs on the 1000. Then, in 2018 when it appeared they had most all the major bugs worked out, I jumped in with both feet!! I paid premium price for a 1000 Hunter Edition because it came with most of the accessories I'd want to add already installed. I've had zero regrets since.
4000 miles later and I still have to carry toothpicks to keep the bugs out of my teeth because I grin so much while riding the damn thing lol. 😁

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
Sorta in the same boat Polman. I wanted a Scamy 1k in the worst way. Didn't like the 2018 color so I waited for the 19s which never came out. 2020s were dropping in the summer of 2019 and they presented the "S" Scramy which wasn't for me. So I ordered the CA Outy XXC 1000r. No regrets I'm happy with the power. I will say "need" isn't a adjective I would use to describe a toy but an 850 wouldn't have gotten it done for me. I can push this 1000 beyond it's limits and not mine. I will say that the 1000 is fast. I have buddies with 850s that can ride and they have said on more then one occasion that the pull on my machine is amazing. They tell me they try and keep up but my machine just keeps pulling away. It's a rocket ship for sure. The machine is scary fast!! So much so a buddy almost died trying to pace me at HMT last month. He told me a couple of weeks ago on a ride in PA that he isn't a person of faith but he's convinced something saved his life that day.

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
237 Posts
If your just looking for a new big bore quad and don’t wana spend a ton of money you cannot beat the standard 850ho.About 8k .. I got a deal on mine.
But if you’re looking at the sp or any premium model then you mite as well buy the 1000 because your getting close in price. Everyone knows the 1000 will smoke the 850 On any road. In trails you won’t miss the power and will go anywhere the 1000 will.. So would I like to have a 1000? hell yeah! Who wouldn’t !? Do I need one ? No. If I really need to race someone I have My old 4mm stroked 421cc banshee in my shop . See I went to the dealer with my mind already made of what I wanted .but If your even remotely thinking about the 1000 then buy it.. Buy once cry once! If not you’ll kick yourself in the ass every time you race your buddies 1000 and get beat.

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
237 Posts
Or If you really want a crazy fast utility quad then do as bp405 did. Buy a gade or outty 1000 . On paper the hp specs may be same but they aren’t close. My gade 1000 was piped/clutched/tuned and was ridiculous. But just for a all around trail machine I’m content with my 2020 850 sportsman no bells no whistles . Enuf power to climb anything I point it at. does wheelies. Rides good. And was cheap. It’s Good enuf for me. I quit worrying about trying to do 100 on dirt long ago. I tell everyone what I lack in speed I make up for in over 25 years of seat time with lots of trial and painful errors lol

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
862 Posts
I respect all the previous opinions,
My 850SP purchase was similar to JSnance, I wanted a Camo 850SP or 1000XP, the XP was over 12k...I waited, found a deal on an 850SP and delt it down further. Camo 850SP with both bumpers and premium winch (not installed) for 9,200. The salesman said nope to my offer, I said I’ll pay you in full, cash, right now. He said DEAL. I have no regrets. I saved well over 2k. And the 850 has bigger balls than me, and they don’t call me MrEd for nothing. If money is no object to you, get the XP1000. If it is, the 850 will serve you well.

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
237 Posts
30 years ago I never woulda thot I’d be discussing with guys on wether 78hp or 90hp would be enuf while I was riding my [email protected] the crank Honda 300 lol . Ride what ya can afford is the real answer To the original question. Don’t take on huge payments outside of your means just for bragging rites .. and don’t have a serious case of engine size envy.. Life is good on anything with handlebars 🤘

·
Registered
862 Posts
30 years ago I never woulda thot I’d be discussing with guys on wether 78hp or 90hp would be enuf while I was riding my [email protected] the crank Honda 300 lol . Ride what ya can afford is the real answer To the original question. Don’t take on huge payments outside of your means just for bragging rites .. and don’t have a serious case of engine size envy.. Life is good on anything with handlebars 🤘
That Right there is an Awesome statement

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
3,225 Posts
I'm 65 and sometimes I act like 40. That said it was in my best interest to get the 850 because at times I can't control my need for speed and this 850 will put a smile on my face and I can live for another ride!

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is the first Polaris I've owned, also the first big bore, power house, ATV I've owned. I ride my quads in the swamps, so I need big tires, and big horsepower to spin the big tires. So I went for the 1000XP HL, got the winch and bumpers I use almost every ride, these where big items for me and my purchase decision.

·
Registered
862 Posts
This is the first Polaris I've owned, also the first big bore, power house, ATV I've owned. I ride my quads in the swamps, so I need big tires, and big horsepower to spin the big tires. So I went for the 1000XP HL, got the winch and bumpers I use almost every ride, these where big items for me and my purchase decision.
And sounds like a perfect decision for what you need. Smart man

·
Registered
2020 sportsman 850
237 Posts
Agreed . Smart choice .. If you do a lot do mud riding the extra power is nice for big tires plus being highlighter it’s already clutched to match. We just don’t have much mud around here. We hill climb and have to deal with a lot of huge rocks . That’s why I don’t add a whole lot of accessories. Trying to keep weight down.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can I put handlebars on my ol lady?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts