Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a brand new Ranger 500.
I'm only on my second tank of gas, less than 200 hours on the unit.
I have already had to replace the spark plug once. It was severely fouled up.
I am less than 5 hours into the new plug and already fouled up bad. It smells like unburnt fuel on start up and pops, hesitates and dies.
Seems to me like the EFI is over fueling.
Has anyone else had problems like this. It was so bad this morning it was backfiring real bad and died. Now it won't restart at all.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
10,125 Posts
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
How long are you letting it idle?

How long are you letting it warm up before taking off when engine is cold?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not very long.
I tried to run it to warm it up faster. I'll try letting it idle for a while to warm up.
Is the EFI on this learning? I wouldn't let it run for long sometimes, just up to the mailbox and back. since changing out the plug I'm letting it come up to temperature before shutting off. I'm wondering if it adjusted fuel delivery because of the fowled plug.

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
don't IDLE. start it up and go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the problem. If I start and go, it backfires and dies.
Even just idle will die.
So, I changed the plug (again) the one I pulled out is covered in black soot. Also wet with gas as I've been trying to start.
New plug and it fires right up. Not sure how long this one will last before I have the same problem. I've been letting it get fully warmed up.
Any way to "reset" the computer? If I disconnect the battery and short the cables together will that clear and reset the EFI??
I'm also going to drain the fuel and try some new gas, maybe I got some bad gas?? Last tank was from a no-name station outside of town.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts