Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Polaris Sportsman 570 SP
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, bought a new 2021 high lifter 850, have about 220kms on it now. Seems when I get in some water, just above the tires or up to tail lights the quad will SOMETIMES start running like junk, it takes about 20 mins or so and it comes back to normal. It’ll sit and idle but sounds like absolute garbage. If you give it any throttle it will die more. The video I attached is not mine, but that is what it is doing.
I read one solution online being to dielectric grease the plug wires, as water is getting in there and causing issues. Could this be the problem?
could the fuel pump be falling? I thoughta fuel pump would just fail and that’s that?
love this quad but this is annoying and embarrassing to be honest. Damn can am guys love it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,771 Posts
If it’s only happening when in water, then it is definitely an electrical short. Take off the plastics and then go through every electrical connection with dielectric grease including the plugs and coil. These machines aren’t submarines, and do need some extra work to ensure that they can perform as such. Can-Am definitely does a better job at waterproofing their machines from factory.

·
Registered
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. Mossy Oak (Now Purple)
79 Posts
Its probably a factor, thats just one thing that takes a few minutes, and is worth doing. It could also be the water cooling the engine off, making the computer try to richen the mixture, thinking the engine is cold. Not much you can do with that. Id give that a try tho.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I drive my HL1000 underwater for miles, it’s water getting things wet that don’t want to be wet, never have I had the quad die because the water cooled the engine enough to make it go rich, never. I do A LOT of maintenance, my mud bike runs great underwater....... and out of water.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drive my HL1000 underwater for miles, it’s water getting things wet that don’t want to be wet, never have I had the quad die because the water cooled the engine enough to make it go rich, never. I do A LOT of maintenance, my mud bike runs great underwater....... and out of water.
ok so it’s not just me who like to run these highlifters to the brink of failure haha. Glad to hear it is possible. I’ve put dielectric greaseto help stop water in the spark plug boot. Also checked the air box for leaks and found none.

thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like seeing someone else who is willing to take the dive into the water with their 4 wheeler, excellent. I’ve posted this before, and it’s what you have to do to ride in the water and mud. Take the plastics off, find all electrical connections, carefully take them apart, they need to go back together tightly, put a dab of dielectric grease around the seal of the connection, put it back together, all of them, it will take hours. I like a spray that I get at Ace hardware called LPS1, I spray it on the connected connections, it repels water great, I spray everything with that stuff. Spark plugs and coils need the same protection. Some have water problems from the transmission seal, I haven’t, but the f your belt is slipping, you’ll have to seal that up. I’m sure the regular’s around here are sick of my pictures, but it’s running and ready to go.
F6BEB370-6E03-48BA-9C31-6D605D156A31.jpeg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s awesome man! I’m definitely going to take the time to do as you instructed! Appreciate it

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,771 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Those are SYA riser kit.
You might also want to look at Lucky 7’s riser kit.

Thank you, those are them, they block a lot of view, and I've had real good luck with Lucky7 stuff.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like seeing someone else who is willing to take the dive into the water with their 4 wheeler, excellent. I’ve posted this before, and it’s what you have to do to ride in the water and mud. Take the plastics off, find all electrical connections, carefully take them apart, they need to go back together tightly, put a dab of dielectric grease around the seal of the connection, put it back together, all of them, it will take hours. I like a spray that I get at Ace hardware called LPS1, I spray it on the connected connections, it repels water great, I spray everything with that stuff. Spark plugs and coils need the same protection. Some have water problems from the transmission seal, I haven’t, but the f your belt is slipping, you’ll have to seal that up. I’m sure the regular’s around here are sick of my pictures, but it’s running and ready to go. View attachment 153313
Hey, I just noticed that you have your exhaust snorkelled. is that necessary? how did you do it?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Crazy, I was just posting on this in another thread, you don't "need it", but I find it runs way better with the exhaust out of the water. Now, it still goes under all the time, but usually in a high throttle application where the engine is reving and pushing out exhaust hard. But often putting around for a mile or so where the stock exhaust would always be underwater, it helps to not have the water pressure holding bach the exhaust, then if you let of the throttle, it sometimes wants to stall the engine, and you're already underwater, don't restart until you get some of that water out of the exhaust, it's just better, I know.

HMF swamp series with the optional extension. Not cheap, but has lasted through hell for about 4 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts