Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that the listed dry weight of the 2023 570 trail and the 850 trail are nearly identical at 873 and 864 respectfully. They are saying the 570 weighs more? I am stuck between purchasing the 570 and 850 but would a 570 even be worth it considering it would have to push close to 900 lbs. I’ve already read about how heavy the 850 is and a lot of people have issue with it. Could this be a typo?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The 570 premium is listed at 756 LBS dry weight.
I'm not sure why the trail would weigh over 100LBS more that it?
Other than adding a winch, I don't think there's much more that would add weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I don’t know either. The listed specs for the Trail trim say 873 lbs dry. Other than the winch, there is a front bumper and led lights that are added to the Trail trim. Definitely not over 100 lbs in those added items. Seems crazy to have the much smaller engine pushing a heavier machine, 44HP on the 570 compared to 78HP on the 850.

·
Super Moderator
16,283 Posts
I haven't actually looked closely at specs for the different packages but winch, rack extenders, bumper, larger heavier tires would probably add up to around 100 extra pounds. I think it must be a typo. Unless you plan on carrying or pushing the machine, I'm not sure why it really matters lol.
Not sure where you looked, but the Polaris website shows the base 570 at 701 lbs. and the base 850 at 767 lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m talking about the Trail trim. Not the base or the premium. I think it matters because a lot of the cons I’ve read about the 850 have to do with it’s heaviness and how it effects handling and other performance. I would think that if the 570 weighed just as much and with a significantly smaller engine it would exacerbate those problems. I could be wrong but smaller engine and heavier weight is bad right lol

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
15,182 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the listed dry weight of the 2023 570 trail and the 850 trail are nearly identical at 873 and 864 respectfully. They are saying the 570 weighs more? I am stuck between purchasing the 570 and 850 but would a 570 even be worth it considering it would have to push close to 900 lbs. I’ve already read about how heavy the 850 is and a lot of people have issue with it. Could this be a typo?
Font Window Pattern Screenshot Automotive exterior
to the forum
Gas Font Automotive lighting Ball Vehicle registration plate

Reactions: billh

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
NO ONE has ever purchased a 850 and said they wished they would have bought a 570.
Recipe Cuisine Insect Dish Dessert
Just get Power Steering because the only people that don't like Power Steering are the ones that don't have it!

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
See if the Dealer will let you test drive both the 570 and the 850, then make up your mind.

·
Super Moderator
16,283 Posts
OK. I can't remember hearing anyone complain that a 850 was too heavy or underpowered? Regardless, I'm absolutely certain that a 850, no matter how its configured, weighs more than a 570 regardless of how its configured. No question about that. You must be seeing a typo. Also "estimated" weight varies widely depending on where you're getting the info. Everywhere you look gives different specs. The only way to REALLY know is to weigh them.
I ride a 2018 1000 Hunter Edition that has ALL the extras including super heavy 28" PB Growler tires. Polaris' website shows a 2023 Ultimate Trail 1000 at an estimated 871 lbs. ATV.COM shows my machine at 805 lbs. while ATVrider shows the same machine at 889 lbs. So apparently its somewhere between 800 and 900 lbs. With it fully fueled and with me and my gear on it I'm well over 1/2 ton. A 570 is approximately 200 lbs less than that.
My riding buddy has a Honda Foreman that weighs a claimed 677 lbs. I can tell you from first-hand experience that my 1/2 ton beast is WAY nimbler and easier to ride in the tight woods and rough terrain than my buddy's Honda that weighs 300 lbs. less. If you're that worried about weight, maybe check out a Phoenix 200 at 420 lbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I’ve read numerous reviews from respected publications (not from trolls on the internet) that the 850 is heavy and It’s weight does effect some of its handling. I don’t think I ever said it was underpowered. I think people are misinterpreting the reason for the thread so let me try to clean it up. I am in the market to upgrade my atv. I am/was interested in the 570 TRAIL edition. After lookin at the specs of the 570 TRAIL edition it says it weighs more than the 850 TRAIL, which makes no sense to me. It made me wonder if this was a typo on every website I have looked at including the direct Polaris site or if it actually weighs more. Seeing a smaller machine weigh more than a larger machine made me concerned about wanting to buy the 570 for the obvious reasons. In closing, I wanted to buy a 570 TRAIL. I will now buy an 850.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Agree with polman 100%

All the polaris utilty ATV's are heavy machines. There 570 weights less than the 850 but, not by much. The 850 and 1000 are going to be very close in weight. Main differences in them is the engine displacement

Regardless of what they weigh, they don't feel heavy till you roll it over, or try to manually push/pull/lift one of them.

They are all in the top of their class (4wd utility ATV) when it comes to handling. I've not heard anyone complain about their weight.

The 570 is adequate for nearly any type of riding you want to do. It will go anywhere the big bore machines go. Its fun to ride. Compared to the other machines, it gets great gas mileage.

The 850 is a huge jump up in the power department from the 850. I find that it has a more comfortable ride and its got more of a hot rod feel since there is so much more power on tap. Fuel mileage sucks if you're on the throttle hard. Maybe 80 miles/tank if you ride hard.

The 1000 is another jump in power. Not as big a jump as the 570 to 850 (IMO) but still, it does make a big difference if you're the type of guy that just loves to rip whenever you get the chance. Same ergonomics and ride quality of the 850. I'm getting about the same fuel mileage as the 850 too.

I've owned and ridden each of them quite a bit. The 1K is the most fun IMO just because of the thrill when you crack the throttle in sport mode. I still ride the 570 and still enjoy it. Just a different kind of ride. I've never been in a situation on the 570 and thought I can't do this but I could on the 1K. They are all capable. You just gotta decide how important horsepower is and spend accordingly

·
Registered
889 Posts
See if the Dealer will let you test drive both the 570 and the 850, then make up your mind.
I did exactly that. I went to the dealer years ago to buy a 550XP. I had already ridden my buddies 550. My mind was firm, I wanted the 550XP EPS. The dealer says " I will sell you anything you want but I want you to be happy with your purchase"

He rolled an 850 off the floor and fired it up. "Here, take this for a ride"

I left that day with an 850. Fast forward 10 years. I now ride a 1000xp!

D

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
A Dodge Ram TRX weights 8,000lb but has 707hp! If your comparing the sportsman to a raptor 700 yes the sportsman will feel heavy on the trail. If your comparing it to another 4x4 atv, the 850cc sportsman will make you forget it weights 900lbs.

·
Super Moderator
16,283 Posts
A Dodge Ram TRX weights 8,000lb but has 707hp! If your comparing the sportsman to a raptor 700 yes the sportsman will feel heavy on the trail. If your comparing it to another 4x4 atv, the 850cc sportsman will make you forget it weights 900lbs.
Yep, if you want a lightweight sport machine that you can throw around in the turns then that's what you need to buy. If you're in the market for a utility 4x4 then heavy weight goes with the package... No matter what brand you get.

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK. I can't remember hearing anyone complain that a 850 was too heavy or underpowered? Regardless, I'm absolutely certain that a 850, no matter how its configured, weighs more than a 570 regardless of how its configured. No question about that. You must be seeing a typo. Also "estimated" weight varies widely depending on where you're getting the info. Everywhere you look gives different specs. The only way to REALLY know is to weigh them.
I ride a 2018 1000 Hunter Edition that has ALL the extras including super heavy 28" PB Growler tires. Polaris' website shows a 2023 Ultimate Trail 1000 at an estimated 871 lbs. ATV.COM shows my machine at 805 lbs. while ATVrider shows the same machine at 889 lbs. So apparently its somewhere between 800 and 900 lbs. With it fully fueled and with me and my gear on it I'm well over 1/2 ton. A 570 is approximately 200 lbs less than that.
My riding buddy has a Honda Foreman that weighs a claimed 677 lbs. I can tell you from first-hand experience that my 1/2 ton beast is WAY nimbler and easier to ride in the tight woods and rough terrain than my buddy's Honda that weighs 300 lbs. less. If you're that worried about weight, maybe check out a Phoenix 200 at 420
My riding buddy has a Honda Foreman that weighs a claimed 677 lbs. I can tell you from first-hand experience that my 1/2 ton beast is WAY nimbler and easier to ride in the tight woods and rough terrain than my buddy's Honda that weighs 300 lbs. less. If you're that worried about weight, maybe check out a Phoenix 200 at 420 lbs.
Pulls no punches. 🤣🤣🤣

1 - 18 of 18 Posts