Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, you know how it sounds when you left of the throttle and your drive shaft clicks once at the u joint cause the engine brake kicks in? imagine that click happening about 3-5 times a second in drive under acceleration or just cruising. Im not sure what its coming from, but its in the rear of the atv somewhere. What could be wrong???

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not entirely sure I understood your whole post, but normally a "clicking" comes from the CV joints when they are bad. They normally click when flexed but i've seen them click under a load too. Does the clicking increase in speed as you speed up?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not entirely sure I understood your whole post, but normally a "clicking" comes from the CV joints when they are bad. They normally click when flexed but i've seen them click under a load too. Does the clicking increase in speed as you speed up?
yeah its hard to explain. It doesnt increase going faster, it just happens more often the faster you go. im assuming thats because the faster you go the quicker parts rotate. They also click noticeably louder when turning. im stumped. we drove up the street and my buddy hung off the back looking under it and we cannot figure it out... the clicking almost sounds like when you knock on a metal door.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pull the rear axle out out on one side and play with the CV joint, like bend it and twist like it would do if it were in the wheeler. it probably gets louder on a turn because the body roll makes the angle of the joint on the outside of the wheeler increase which puts more stress on the joint which would cause it to click louder. And if it clicks faster the faster you speed up I would say its definitely a CV joint, or at least some in the differential/drive train.

Rear CV joints are harder to diagnose because they don't turn like the fronts do when you turn the wheels. the only time the angle changes is when the angle of deflection is large, IE when there is the lease amount of weight on the wheeler. As the suspension squats that angle in the axle straightens out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the rear axle out out on one side and play with the CV joint, like bend it and twist like it would do if it were in the wheeler. it probably gets louder on a turn because the body roll makes the angle of the joint on the outside of the wheeler increase which puts more stress on the joint which would cause it to click louder. And if it clicks faster the faster you speed up I would say its definitely a CV joint, or at least some in the differential/drive train.

Rear CV joints are harder to diagnose because they don't turn like the fronts do when you turn the wheels. the only time the angle changes is when the angle of deflection is large, IE when there is the lease amount of weight on the wheeler. As the suspension squats that angle in the axle straightens out.
Ok, how hard are those to replace if thats the issue? Also, do they have to be replaced like whats the side effect? if theyll still work and just click ill leave them until i have it apart again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Technically nothing will really happen until they get to a point where it just breaks in half! but they can click for a very long time before that happens. They are normally very easy to change, you have to take the rear hub off and upper and lower control arms and the the axle normally slides out of the diff. They are held in by an expanding little clip that just compresses when you yank it out. longest part is getting the hubs/bearings/bushings out of the way. the rest quick an easy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Technically nothing will really happen until they get to a point where it just breaks in half! but they can click for a very long time before that happens. They are normally very easy to change, you have to take the rear hub off and upper and lower control arms and the the axle normally slides out of the diff. They are held in by an expanding little clip that just compresses when you yank it out. longest part is getting the hubs/bearings/bushings out of the way. the rest quick an easy.
Ok thanks. ill see if i can run by the dealer some morning and see if they can just give me a second opinion to make sure. there pretty good down there. thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sure thing, let me know what you figure out!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Grease 'em for the time being

if you want them to last just a little longer.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts