Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My knothead boy was riding my Trailblazer this afternoon when he locked the brakes going downhill and skidded into a tree. He broke the right side plastic front fender and now, when I line up the fender where it broke, the shift lever won't engage reverse because it hits the plastic. I can't find anything wrong, just now, the shift lever hits the back of the slot before engaging reverse. It'll engage forward fine and neutral - barely. I have to lift the fender up and pull it backward along the break in order to move the lever into reverse. I hope this makes sense. I guess my question is could he have messed up the adjustment on the shifter? If I could move the handle forward in the slot while not moving the shift rod, I think I could fix it. Is that possible? My old '92 4x4 shifter was a little different than this. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] for more info or with suggestions. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
99 Posts
It sounds like the mounting tabs for the bodywork got tweaked and it's now too far forward.

Pull the front plastic off and see if the shifter functions normally without any binding.

I highly doubt he coulda damaged the shifter and/or linkage without a direct hit to the shifter itself.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Catman. It will shift fine - if you move the fender around. When I lined up both halves where it split, it looked good, but the shifter hit the back of the slot before even getting close to reverse. When I pulled the front half of the fender away from the body and overlapped both halves where it split, it put the slot far enough back I could move the shift lever back into reverse. I'll try to locate the mounting tabs and see if I can move them. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Inspect close where the fenders bolt to the floorboards. The holes there are slotted, so it may have shifted the most there.

If you can't get it lined up, you'll have to adjust the linkage itself.

If I remember correctly, it adjusts by the shifter and by the trans too. I THINK? I had to put a trans in a 500 Scrambler I had, but it's been years.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought I replied here, but I don't see it. I'll try again. Got the boy's Trailblazer going again. Took the front fenders off and put a patch behind the long crack he made in it. Set the fenders back on and lined up all the mounting holes - even tried to make adjustments - and still couldn't get the shift lever to engage reverse before hitting the back of the slot. So, I looked where the shift lever mounts to the frame and saw there are multiple mounting holes. It was in the bottom two (I think there are 6 in all), so I pulled the bolts out and moved the shifter "up" one hole and tightened it down. Now, it engages F-N-R like it should. The shifter is a little farther forward than I'd like (I'm a little ocd), but it goes into forward before hitting the front of the slot. So, all's good. Thanks Catman for responding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts