Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned the ATV listed in the thread title for nearly a year now. After initial tear-down and inspection we found we needed to bore out & match a new piston due to compression loss. I am fairly sure this is a mid to late 80's model.

After the rebuild, it seemed much tighter and does produce more power, now that it can retain some of the compression lost, but I think it is injecting too much oil into the mixture. I understand this is one of the main crankcase cooling components, but this leaves a blue trail no matter what throttle input is given.

I've noticed that the oiler/throttle linkage can be lengthened at the rear of the crankcase to close off whatever valve/pump this actuates (not looked into it) but I don't want to make any sort of adjustment without consulting this forum.

I've also played with adjusting the small flathead "fuel screw" that was pointed out by an uncle of mine. He owned and ran an ATV shop for almost a decade, but this cannot be solved with adding more fuel.

So, now that I've probably put the fuel screw out of position, what is the process I need to go through to both set oil consumption and meter fuel input/idle speed?

Help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
A year would be good. try looking on the right hand side of the machine, should be a number stamp. get me those numbers and i'll let you know the year.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I have a 1993 trailboss -244 and it has a gasket leak I believe in the shut off valve on the gas tank. At first thought it was gas line to no avail. as I replaced it. It has had an issue scince I bought it, with leaking gas if you dont shut the gas off on it while not in use. Now it leaks with it off also. How easy is it to replace this gasket? Or is there a screw or somthing that may need tightening? If the gasket is your suspition then do you have a view of this tank and instructions to replace this gasket? Any help you can be or anyone thats done this would be greatly appreciate!!. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! I have a 1993 trailboss -244 and it has a gasket leak I believe in the shut off valve on the gas tank. At first thought it was gas line to no avail. as I replaced it. It has had an issue scince I bought it, with leaking gas if you dont shut the gas off on it while not in use. Now it leaks with it off also. How easy is it to replace this gasket? Or is there a screw or somthing that may need tightening? If the gasket is your suspition then do you have a view of this tank and instructions to replace this gasket? Any help you can be or anyone thats done this would be greatly appreciate!!. Thanks

I really appreciate the hijacking post!

Seriously, I forgot about making an account on this forum, until I got an email about this reply. But here I am, and I am almost positive it's a 1988 model Trail Boss. I can get the numbers tonight, but right now they're 50+ miles from my location so I'm going by memory here.

I have made small tweaks to the carburetor, and now it only leaves a blue trail when I'm cruising at or near full power. A little also shows itself upon acceleration, but it cleans up if I'm gentle with the throttle.

I appreciate the responses, and apologize for the lack of a follow-up on my part.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
There should be 2 index marks on the oil pump,at idle speed these marks,one on the pump body and one on the pump lever,should line up. if not then cable adjustment is necessary.
You will see more smoke now due to the fact that you have more engine vacuum.
The newer synthetic blends of 2 stroke oil claim to smoke less,i've not tried these yet as i am waiting for my oil level in tank to go down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

The number for this ATV is W877527, which apparently means it's a 1987 model.

I have figured out the idle speed, so now the only question I have is related to the other screw on this carburetor. Is this idle circuit mixture? It's really more of a slotted stud than anything, and it's angled up in a difficult position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts