Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Polaris winch that was on my '08 800 EFI Sportsman when I bought it 4 years ago. Just the other day I had to use it to pull a 1000 lb. hay bale out of a trailer. It started out pulling fine just like always but after just a few seconds started freespooling. I had had it on freespool and switched it back to engaged after I had the cable around the bale. After dealing with the bale by pulling with a tow strap, I proceeded to take the winch off and check it out. The first thing I did was to go online and start to research the problem. Needless to say I didn't find a whole lot. I decided to open the case up and check for any obviously broken parts, and was surprised to find nothing broken. So back to the computer to search some more. I found a couple of places with some info and because it was fairly hard to find I thought I would post the links with the exploded diagram, and what I found to be the issue with my winch. I was surprised to find that the winch wasn't really all that comlpicated, and with an exploded diagram and place to order the internal parts, it would be really cheap to fix. The shipping is 3 times the cost of the four parts that I am going to replace, which kind of pisses me off, but oh well, it's still about 5% of the cost of a replacement winch! I am pretty sure that the only problem with my winch is a worn and weak freespool spring. I am going to replace the Hex shaft and freespool slider and bull gear also, just because they're so cheap. I am able to get the winch to engage after a little cleaning and adding a little new grease, for the short term until the new parts come. For now here are the pertinent links. I'll post more after the parts come and are installed.
POLARIS 2500 LB. WINCH REPLACEMENT PARTS from Polaris ATV Accessories & Apparel 2008
Broken Polaris Winch? Fix it yourself - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

1 - 1 of 1 Posts