Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok finally have decided to go with the Zillas and order them this week. One final question is what size. I have read tons of forums and everyone says they run short and to go with the 28". I don't want to really do anything else like clutch kits or anything. I will also run stock rims. Any info or pics would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am running 28 Zillas (11/9) and there are no issues as long g as your bushings are reasonably good. Mine were so sloppy for a while on hard turns I was rubbing g just a tad on the sway bar. Now that I have good bushings there is a good inch of clearance. Zillas are light tires and you should not need a clutch kit. Only thing I dislike a out them is how the tread on mine picks up gravel and scratches my garage floor.

09 550xp assume you are at least that big.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's two different answers. Anyone else I know this topic has been beaten to death but I don't want to regret my choice

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fully believe in running stock sizes but this has been a hard choice with all the forums. The only other tire I would consider running a stock size of 26x9x14 and 29x11x14 would be the silverback x-lites but haven't heard much about them

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ok finally have decided to go with the Zillas and order them this week. One final question is what size. I have read tons of forums and everyone says they run short and to go with the 28". I don't want to really do anything else like clutch kits or anything. I will also run stock rims. Any info or pics would be great. Thanks
I don't have Zillas, but I just got the 28" Mega Mayhems and love them. Put them on stock wheels s/w combo with no rubbing and no clutch work. I have the 850, not sure what size motor you have ... Might just get away with changing the primary spring and not doing a whole kit.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Even with 26's a clutch kit is always a good idea.

Longer belt life, smoother engagement.

I'm not sure why everyone is afraid to clutch their machines!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Abrupt engagement compared to stock, maybe?

I am liking the sound of the Dalton DP400 Kit for my 400. A little more torque, not too radical though,

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ So far everything I have read states that the rough engagement on the XP's is smoothed out with the QSC clutches (I haven't gotten mine, it should be here this week.)

And no matter who you buy with, they will want to know where you ride (mud, trails) and they will set it up for how you ride for maximum efficiency and ride-ability.

OP, why don't you just buy 27's? They will actually measure 26".

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
^^ So far everything I have read states that the rough engagement on the XP's is smoothed out with the QSC clutches (I haven't gotten mine, it should be here this week.)

And no matter who you buy with, they will want to know where you ride (mud, trails) and they will set it up for how you ride for maximum efficiency and ride-ability.

OP, why don't you just buy 27's? They will actually measure 26".
Thanks for the info.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
193 Posts
With my 28's I noticed no difference from the original 26's. That is, it was every bit as quick and harsh on engagement. I later did change my primary spring from oem red to a softer Dennis Kirk silver that lowered the engagement from 2300 to 2000. That helped buffer the harsh engagement.

If you are going to get them, put them on first, then decide later if you want/need to change your clutch characteristics. North Bound should be telling us what model atv he is talking about. I can only speak for mine.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/members/37806-albums1272-picture6817.jpg
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/members/37806-albums1272-picture6819.jpg

·
Registered
5,753 Posts

Agreed. I just installed one on an 11 850xp with 30" Zillas on it. Owner thought it had plenty of power with stock clutching and only complained about the harsh engagement. Now with the QSC kit it engages smoothly and will pull wheelies. Sure didn't do that before!!

A little shot of some of what I work on.
(BTW, it's for sale)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Thats a nice looking machine!

Are 't zillas and mudzillas 2 different tires tho?! I thought mudzillas only came in 12" rims.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry guys for the late reply. I run a 2011 XP 850. Thanks for all the input seem Zillas are the way to go all around. The maxxis stockers it came with just aren't holding up as well.
As for going with a 27" on all four corners they don't really have same as stock size

·
Registered
635 Posts
27" Zillas only come 10" and 12" for 14" wheel.I've been trying to decide on a tire that will give me more sidewall for a better ride.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
May as well get silverbacks since x lites are basically worn down backs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts