Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed 28x9.5x12 front and 28x12.5x12 rear highlifter outlaw ones on my 02 sportsman 700. Few things I had to do to make these work, I'm sure other people want to do the same thing.

For starters my 700 is a fresh engine with 500 ho 40 mm carb, 800ho dual exhaust with dual header. Clutch is off 07 with smooth one way bearing and epi cluctch kit. I ran kit with all components except I used stock blue spring. When I put the outlaws on, I had to go with red primary spring and change my weights to 66 g due yo over reving and now it turns those tires perfectly with good power all the way up to top speed about 55 mph

For clearance I had to use 1" wheel spacers all the way around with the stock Polaris aluminum wheels. Machine has 2.5" lift rear, 4" lift front (strut spacers and heavy variable springs). To achieve the front lift without tires rubbing the footwells I put the super ATV arched front control arms in. They required some modification (had to cut 1\4" off bushing tube to fit in frame). These arms are 1.5" longer than stock so with the lift they made my camber perfect. They also moved the tires forward 1.5" so the tires don't rub the footwell. Next thing was extending CV axles due to longer a arms. I used a 04 500 outer CV and slid a metal locking collar on the shaft first before I put in the hub which gave me plenty of spline contact. I had to grind a little bit of material after splines so the wheels bearings could be tightened. Everything works perfect and have put 500 miles on the setup with no problems.

Now the machine has 15" of ground clearance under the front diff (1000 xmr only has 12"). Havent run the outlaws in the swamp yet so we will see how they compare to my 27" mudzillas which I loved.

Other mods it has power steering, front diff upgrade, raised radiator, custom snorkels, wireless winch, upgraded ignition, permantly fixed rear diff that had stropped splines, and more.

I hope the helps some people with 1st gen machines. Its pretty awesome my 02 goes everywhere a 15 1000 xmr goes

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hello & Welcome :wave:

Mean looking machine!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered bp racing 820 stroker kit for an 800. This will be the first ever 2002 820 ho highlifter haha still keeping it carbed less problems

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Looks good, post a vid sometime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just finished turning my 700 into an 820. All I have to say is hang on HP went from 45 to 65. Kept the jetting the same but had to go with heavier clutch weights motor just broke in and runs perfect. Cost 2k to do but cheaper than buying a new machine. This has taken my 700 to a whole different level

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the bp racing 820 kit came with everything only thing I added was oil pump and valves all internals are brand new if you make it an 800 its really only a 760 and 55 horse

·
Registered
155 Posts
what are you running for axles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fronts are stock 700 with 04 outers. Rears are 08 800 2 up axles with the stock 700 inner cups they are 1 inch longer than stock helps with the lift

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just installed 28x9.5x12 front and 28x12.5x12 rear highlifter outlaw ones on my 02 sportsman 700. Few things I had to do to make these work, I'm sure other people want to do the same thing.

For starters my 700 is a fresh engine with 500 ho 40 mm carb, 800ho dual exhaust with dual header. Clutch is off 07 with smooth one way bearing and epi cluctch kit. I ran kit with all components except I used stock blue spring. When I put the outlaws on, I had to go with red primary spring and change my weights to 66 g due yo over reving and now it turns those tires perfectly with good power all the way up to top speed about 55 mph

For clearance I had to use 1" wheel spacers all the way around with the stock Polaris aluminum wheels. Machine has 2.5" lift rear, 4" lift front (strut spacers and heavy variable springs). To achieve the front lift without tires rubbing the footwells I put the super ATV arched front control arms in. They required some modification (had to cut 1\4" off bushing tube to fit in frame). These arms are 1.5" longer than stock so with the lift they made my camber perfect. They also moved the tires forward 1.5" so the tires don't rub the footwell. Next thing was extending CV axles due to longer a arms. I used a 04 500 outer CV and slid a metal locking collar on the shaft first before I put in the hub which gave me plenty of spline contact. I had to grind a little bit of material after splines so the wheels bearings could be tightened. Everything works perfect and have put 500 miles on the setup with no problems.

Now the machine has 15" of ground clearance under the front diff (1000 xmr only has 12"). Havent run the outlaws in the swamp yet so we will see how they compare to my 27" mudzillas which I loved.

Other mods it has power steering, front diff upgrade, raised radiator, custom snorkels, wireless winch, upgraded ignition, permantly fixed rear diff that had stropped splines, and more.

I hope the helps some people with 1st gen machines. Its pretty awesome my 02 goes everywhere a 15 1000 xmr goes

Do you have a part number for the arched a arms you modified to fit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts