Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys...will 28x10x12 in the front and 28x12x12 in the rear fit my 2010 Sportsman 500 with 4+3 offset rims? I'm new to this so sorry if it's a stupid question but do I need to upgrade my axles when I go that big of tires? and will 28's bog down a 500's motor?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The motor will be fine, but I strongly suggest some CVT upgrades!!

As for axles, the larger tire will add to the stresses on the axles, but what really kills them is the angles they have to operate at. Unless your in gumbo mud and the stresses there will also not do them any good either. :)

CW

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CVT upgrades? Like clutch and torque springs?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
CVT upgrades? Like clutch and torque springs?
A clutch kit thats designed to overcome the forces created by a larger diameter, heavier and more aggressive tread tire.

Dalton, EPI and hi-lifter are a couple that come to mind but there are many others out there.

CW

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input CW

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you do the tires and want a clutch kit, let me know. I recently became a dealer for qsc and have kits in stock for your application ready to ship. $219 shipped.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds great Ridinagain, I'm looking at doing it this winter and am just making sure what I need.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've got 28 (11/9) zillas on my 09 550xp oem steel wheels. I've broken off several of the little inside nubs on the tires rubbing on the (torsion bar?) I'm guessing you're going to be close on rubbing too. I just replaced all the bushings and hope this helps too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking into the 27's at first but I was thinking the 28's would be a better buy for a few more bucks per tire...I'm assuming with 27's it would also be a good idea for a clutch kit?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was looking into the 27's at first but I was thinking the 28's would be a better buy for a few more bucks per tire...I'm assuming with 27's it would also be a good idea for a clutch kit?
I think it depends a lot on what kind of tires you put on too. Heavy or light.
My 550 has no noticeable loss of power with 28 zillas. In fact I switched to the silver clutch spring to lower my engagement rpm. Mud lites are really light too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I think it depends a lot on what kind of tires you put on too. Heavy or light.
My 550 has no noticeable loss of power with 28 zillas. In fact I switched to the silver clutch spring to lower my engagement rpm. Mud lites are really light too.
Question. Why would you lower your Engagement. That puts you further away from your powerband

·
Registered
193 Posts
The 09 550 xp (in my opinion) as stock has about the harshest engagement of any quad I've ever ridden.

It idled about 1700 and would not engage until about 2300. The engagement jolt was so scary my wife refused to drive it and it was nearly impossible to make small incremental speed w/o heavy brake use. Absolutely frightening to back it out of the pickup on steep ramps.
Replacing the red stock spring with the silver lowered the engagement to about 2000 rpm and made the bike a lot more controllable in tight spaces. I've noted no appreciable loss of power or top end.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The 09 550 xp (in my opinion) as stock has about the harshest engagement of any quad I've ever ridden.

It idled about 1700 and would not engage until about 2300. The engagement jolt was so scary my wife refused to drive it and it was nearly impossible to make small incremental speed w/o heavy brake use. Absolutely frightening to back it out of the pickup on steep ramps.
Replacing the red stock spring with the silver lowered the engagement to about 2000 rpm and made the bike a lot more controllable in tight spaces. I've noted no appreciable loss of power or top end.
Thanks. I was just curious.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just put a OL2's on my 600 and Im in need of a clutch kit. Those things are heavy as hell.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Any time you change the atv from stock you will need to upgrade. The most common things people do is increase tire sizes and/or tire weights. This requires clutch upgrades. I recommend QSC or Airdam. The next most common thing is lifts. These require axle upgrades. I recommend gorilla or turner. A lot of people make these modifications without upgrading and then complain about how their atv performs. Do it right the first time, or expect breakdowns in the form of burnt belts and broken axles.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ well said.

I have noticed alot of ppl saying they don't notice a power loss from a set of taller tires. But you won't notice until you clutch it and get your power back.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
^^ well said.

I have noticed alot of ppl saying they don't notice a power loss from a set of taller tires. But you won't notice until you clutch it and get your power back.
Harder on the belt if you don't clutch it, right?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
^^ well said.

Harder on the belt if you don't clutch it, right?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
Correct. Your stock atv is properly clutched to run stock sized tires. When you add a heavier tire, the clutch is no longer designed for that tire, and you need to re-clutch. This will ensure that your belt engages properly and will lengthen the life of your belt. You can get away with it for a while, but it will wear out sooner. I have run larger tires without clutching, but have also burnt up belts. Same goes for trucks. I have burnt up transmissions by running larger tires without re-gearing. I have tried to go the cheaper route by not doing the upgrades, but it always ends up costing more in the long run. This is why you will see me always recommend clutching when adding tires, and axles when adding lift.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts