Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to all 4 wheelers
Just bought a used 2002 Polaris 500. When I bought it the guy said there was clicking noise in the rear axle but assured me that a Polaris dealer said it was fine and no need to repair. Well low and behold a few hours of riding it ( no off road just neighborhood) I notice a lot of clicking and the boot at the top of rear axle was ripped and the bearing assembly inside of boot was broke in half. Well I ordered a new rear axle and installed it last night. Thought everything was good until I took it for a test ride today and then the other axle did the same thing. Took it apart this evening and the same thing happened. I am fixing to order another axle but what in the world is going on. Called the guy I bought it from and he said he never had any problems with it. Is there a certain way to install the axle or what? I hope someone can help me, I bought this for my son and daughter for Christmas and would like for it to be running by then.

Also, my brain is going 90 to nothing, just was wondering how the bearing assembly broke inside of boot because both boots were full of grease. Doesn't seem like it got too hot from friction. Thinking it might got in a bind or something. Very confused????

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
862 Posts
Does it have or did it have over sized tires and or a lift ? Its not un common to break an axle ...u also can change just the inner or outer joint its actually fairly easy to do ...

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has stock wheels and tires and I am pretty sure it has always had stock wheels and tires. I bought it from the original owner which was an older gentlemen that used it strictly for hunting. Just throwing this out there, like I said I never worked on or know anything about these. But is there a certain angle (degree) the axle has to be installed. From what I can I just popped it and put all parts where they were and tightened everything up. Just wondering???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts