Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NON-touring 2013 850xp. On rare occasions I have a second rider. What are people doing for a seat? I see a few companies make storage bags with a passenger seat. How well do they work? I don't really the bags just the seat. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I built my own,

Tractor seat from TSC, diamond plate (painted flat black), with Oh! shit handles from a UTV and Kimpex foot rests, some nuts and bolts with big washers for displacing the weight.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Seeing your Haul Ass poster in your garage I can think of a lot more other things that set up could do rather than haul an extra passenger. That 550 has the potential of having a lot more ass than any 850 ive ever seen. Yea im ready for summer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else know of anything you can buy and throw on?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Get the rear seat and foot peg kit from the atv superstore. You get usable storage, plus 2up capability.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the links. I've looked around but I haven't found anything that I think would work. I have the rear rack extension which makes adding a box not as easy. Yes, I could take off the rack but I would rather leave it on.

The seat would only be used for rare occasions. Does anyone know of anything like skizmo built?

If there aren't any basic seats, I would get a box if I could get it to work with the rack.
I did look at the "kit A" and "Kit C" box combos at theatvsuperstore but when I called they said they wouldn't work with the rack.

I was just looking at the "kit d" from theatvsuperstore. It uses the Wes Industries AR-36 seat. Anyone have any experience with this one? Would it fit with the extension rack?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thor,

Do you have any other pictures of the "Kit D" mounted on a bike? What keeps it from working with a rack? Too far forward?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thor, When are you going to work with a vendor to mold a box/seat setup that WILL work with the rack extender installed??? :idea: Fell free to use my idea.... just cut me 20% off the one you sell to me!!

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Kit D is also too wide and will not work with the extenders on the XP. As for future builds. The extenders will keep the boxes too close to the driver giving them less seat space. Riders much prefer more seat space vs a extender.

Thanks,

Thor

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kit D is also too wide and will not work with the extenders on the XP. As for future builds. The extenders will keep the boxes too close to the driver giving them less seat space. Riders much prefer more seat space vs a extender.

Thanks,

Thor
I think what he means is someone fab up a box that will fit around the extender, sort of how the stock polaris box does. The one you sell above could be made smaller towards the bottom then extend out further at the top. I have that seat but only run it when I 2up, just wish I could also have my extender, it's just to much of a PITA to take on/off.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

Thanks,

Thor
Take a look at the Kolpin lounger box some time..... it's molded with a lip/hang over that almost clears the rack extender. I added a rubber spacer to raise it so it would work on mine. Just thinking out loud for you, as to me the whole purpose of the lock n ride is for module setups?! :D Maybe you can see what I'm talking about in the below pic. But you say just get that box then.... but I much prefer the quality of the WES Ind. and others!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think what he means is someone fab up a box that will fit around the extender, sort of how the stock polaris box does. The one you sell above could be made smaller towards the bottom then extend out further at the top. I have that seat but only run it when I 2up, just wish I could also have my extender, it's just to much of a PITA to take on/off.
That is exactly what I am saying. I am only going to have a passenger 5% of the time. The other 95% I don't want some big box and seat on the back and want to have the rack. To switch the rack on and off is a pain.

Take a look at the Kolpin lounger box some time..... it's molded with a lip/hang over that almost clears the rack extender. I added a rubber spacer to raise it so it would work on mine. Just thinking out loud for you, as to me the whole purpose of the lock n ride is for module setups?! :D Maybe you can see what I'm talking about in the below pic. But you say just get that box then.... but I much prefer the quality of the WES Ind. and others!!

I like how that one fits around the rack extender, do you have a picture showing the front of the box and how far forward it sits.

I already thought about using a 2"x4" as a spacer to get other boxes up over the rack. but That would really raise it up too high.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I think my box is a kimpex, but it is narrow enough to fit a rack extender around it and works with the lock and ride system

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Here's a pic:

From the back you can see its slightly narrower than the rack, so I think a rack extender could fit around it. Then use lock n ride attachments so you can pull it on and off in a couple seconds.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm going to ask the big question? How big are you and your rider. I'm 230 lbs and my wife is about 130 and we both fit on the stock seat with room in the footwells for both of our feet. We do this with the Polaris Lock and Ride cargo on the back as well and we still have room. We don't ride together than often so based on my experience no additional seating is needed as we just snuggle on the same seat and it works fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm 6'1" 270lbs. my rider would be 5'6" 200 lbs. sharing the seat is an option but not the most comfortable. I've rode behind someone before and its not the most fun thing to do if you have nothing to lean against or hang on to.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ Thats alot of weight on a non touring model. You should definately look into HD springs. I am 250 and my gf is 120 And I find it tight on the 850. The Value line models have a longer seat and rear rack which makes for more room with a 2 up seat. But the XP is tight enough that the next machine I get will be a touring.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts