Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 Polaris Magnum 425 2X4.

This is my first ATV and I don't really know what it can handle in regards to deep mud but I want to try to cross this really swampy area at the end of my "private" trail. It's a span of almost 50 yards of Georgia swamp. Not much water but really wet marsh and a couple small creeks. My bud seems to think it's no prob but he's riding a much newer Polaris 500 4x4. I just may let him go first but I know that will just make it muddier.

Good idea? Bad idea?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Do you have winches and places to winch to? Not exactly sure what Georgia swamps are like, but if they are anything like MN Tamarack swamps you could find yourself in a world of trouble with no way out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
With all the rain we have here recently. I wouldn't take a 2wd atv into a known swamp without a way to extract it. You could be in trouble quick. You could always walk it first as it wouldn't matter. You walk it now or walk it later-after you get stuck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I walked 2/3's of the way through it yesterday. It's getting drier by the day, but more rain's coming Friday. 2WD is concerning for me. My friend has a wench. I don't. I'll post a pic later so you all can see what I'm up against.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You down in Rex, GA? That mud down there is like gumbo. We have a place in Ludowici and when it rains, 4x4 just digs you in deeper.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm actually up in Suwanee Georgia, northeast Atl. subs. It's maybe a little less swampy than the south side Atlanta suburbs where Rex Ga. is.

"RexTrax" is the name of my recording studio, also in Suwanee.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Just hit it!! Only one way to find out is to do it. You go first and if you don't make it then have your friend pull you out and have him try it LOL

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'd give it a try at least, with the right tires 2wd will get you a long ways:

ATV1.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we're currently in our second straight day of steady rain. it'll be a week or so before it's attempt-able.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts