Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just ordered a similar one too. I think we're ok , time will tell.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
They work fine.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
FWIW I basically did the diode thing on my old xplorer and it lasted for years. Still works for its new owner to my knowledge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys I think I will order one and try it out !!

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Similar to the one I used... mines working great 900 miles later.

Here's the kit I used
Polaris Sportsman 3way High Low Beam Headlight Bulb Mod | eBay
Sean correct me if I'm wrong but the kit you bought is that the one that gets really hot ?

When I first read on this mod I seen some say it got hot..so I was going to do the relay one that's on here with directions this spring..but maybe they have a better diode now since some have had awhile an no problems...mine now will actually stay on three light with the switch in the middle of hi an low..so why no rush for me now...its stays there secure...but want to do it with out doing that..Polaris has a gremlin in them when it comes to electrical...why I was afraid of the diode mod...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Similar to the one I used... mines working great 900 miles later.

Here's the kit I used
Polaris Sportsman 3way High Low Beam Headlight Bulb Mod | eBay
Sean correct me if I'm wrong but the kit you bought is that the one that gets really hot ?

When I first read on this mod I seen some say it got hot..so I was going to do the relay one that's on here with directions this spring..but maybe they have a better diode now since some have had awhile an no problems...mine now will actually stay on three light with the switch in the middle of hi an low..so why no rush for me now...its stays there secure...but want to do it with out doing that..Polaris has a gremlin in them when it comes to electrical...why I was afraid of the diode mod...
That was my concern some people say it gets hot but if it really got hot would people be using them

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got the same one for ten bucks almost two years ago and no problems with heat or anything.. The reason i went this route is i am too inexperienced with anything electrical to do the more involved mod,(you can find it here or on you tube).. I was worried about the quality of something so simple, but it's all good!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Alright sounds good! Whats the installation like ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Pull your headlight pod off.. Find the wires in the the instructions, and my set up was nothing more than pinching the mod (diode) to the appropriate wires.. It took longer to remove and put everything back together then it took to hook this up!! You should have no problems

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
People are saying the Diode got hot? Must have been an inferior diode. Lower amp rating probably.
My ebay one NEVER gets hot. All the relay does is take the load off of your handlebar switch, which IMO is NOT necessary. The switch can handle the extra amperage. I ran my xplorer thru the switch with higher wattage lights for a LONG time...years....no issues

·
Registered
361 Posts
Pull your headlight pod off.. Find the wires in the the instructions, and my set up was nothing more than pinching the mod (diode) to the appropriate wires.. It took longer to remove and put everything back together then it took to hook this up!! You should have no problems
X2

Just to add be sure to find the proper wires coming FROM the switch and follow them back to the pod... lesson learned. I have a an extra set of butt connectors because my directions that came with my mod weren't that clear.
Also I wouldn't use the supplied t-taps. I never use them. I would cut, strip and use good heat shrink butt connectors to make them good and waterproof. I also taped everything up with electrical tape for added protection.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes them T-Taps cause problems at times...I used on my boat once an after awhile the wires showed corrision in the pierced area even when taped...I did as sick Pup said..I used sealing heat shrink butt connectors..then liquid tape an then used heat shrink again over that..

I think the earlier diode mod used a cheaper diode why it heated...the guy on ebay uses a higher amp an also a waterproof one...so now i may try this one..instead of the relay one...quick an easy...I hate electrical gremlins....Thanks for all the info here

1 - 20 of 21 Posts