Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK......here goes guys. Went on a 12 hour ride this past weekend. 11 am - 11 pm. Battery was fully charged when I left the house. Rode the day with bumper lights on and no problems. When it got dark I turned on Brights (I have 3 light mod and HID Kit on ATV) After a few hours noticed hid's were alternating one or the other off. Shortly after.....Batt Light came on and Speedo started to blink. Battery ended up COMPLETELY draining and had to b towed out of woods:( Yesterday I charged battery and put meter on it. With battery about 1/2 charged when just bumper light are on voltage is climbing.....When 3rd light is turned on then voltage starts dropping. So.......charging system not able to charge quicker than lights discharge?? Need more powerful battery? Need to do away with 3 light mod? On a separate note........Had my battery checked and tested good. Will drain while setting in basement to about 50% in a few hours. Are those Battery Tests at Auto Zone consistant/accurate?? Thanks for help/answers......Have a Great Day and God Bless!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,491 Posts
You said your battery will drain to 50% while sitting in your basement for a few hours? Is that by itself, or connected to machine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry.....connected to machine. Charged it a while back and it got HOT to the touch and smelled like rotten eggs. Machine ran fine but battery drained while all 3 lights were on. Took to Auto Zone and they said battery checked out perfectly. Battery actually Bad??? Need Bigger Battery??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,243 Posts
What he said^^^^ Take meter , see what machine is charging, should be 13.5-14.45 when engine is revved up 2-3000 sounds like bad battery if its charging ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,891 Posts
ok when charging what type charger and how many amps you charging with....powersport batteries should be charged with 2-3 amps tops...if you use say like 10 amps you will boil the electrolyte..thats why most Maintainers are 1 -2 amps...slow and easy wins the race...

on a side not..at advanced auto..the test is as good as the guy using it...I had one tell me alternator was good on my truck...and battery was fine...but it would not charge..so went to NAPA...the guy came out and tested for me..my Alt was shot...I replaced it and all was good after....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
815 Posts
There are 2 things to look at on a battery. The voltage, and its "health". I had a battery in my truck that would fully charge to 100 percent no problem, but would rapidly loose power if I left the radio on or an interior light on with the key off. I'm talking 5-6 mins max before I would loose too much power to start it. But the alternator was enough to charge it up just running.
You may have a bad battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
If it's getting hot while charging your battery is bad, the smell is from the battery starting to boil and release gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a Auto Charger that charges the battery at either 2 amp/12 amp or 25 amp. I always select the 2 amp charge. The charger shows Battery Voltage/Battery % in the info and SAYS it cuts off when Charge is Complete. I always take it off after it has charged to ensure it doesn't keep charging. It is the Factory Polaris Battery that came on the machine in 2012.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
I have 3 light HID's in all my quads and have never had an issue. HID pull a fair bit of power when they start which is like a second or two, then way less than stock bulbs. You have a battery issue I am thinking. That being said a MAINTAINER is different than a charger even at 2 amps. Maintainers will turn them self off when they reach a certain state of charge. Charges keep trying to ram the amps back into the battery whether it needs it or not. This can lead to boiling of the acid in the battery.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top