Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching for this with no luck but know it is out there somewhere. I have an 08 800 X2 that the high beam has quit on and thought I would do the 3 light mod while fixing it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
dark green(low beam) yellow(high beam) get a large diode like a 6amp. when the diode is installed with the gray ring facing the the dark green wires. so that when the yellow wire is powered it feeds the diode then feeds the dark green wires making the low beam come on. but when the low beams are on the diode dont allow power to feed the yellow wires. if needed i can draw a diagramand post it for the relay.

·
Registered
421 Posts
you will have to give me a few mins to draw it up and load it. you can also use a relay. but ill draw up both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did mine tonight following these instructions I found online and it works like a charm. Only thing is that while reading I saw a few people saying that the diode would get really hot...anyways if you need more info send me a msg

Tools needed:
Utility knife
Pliers
Soldering iron
Electric tape
Scotch locks(blue wire connectors)
Nylon wire ties(zip ties)

I wired a diode on my Polaris Sportsman, so that when the high beam is selected, all three lights are on at the same time. When the low beam is selected only the low beam lights are on. A diode will only allow current to flow in one direction. This is why you will only have the low beams, when low beam is selected and all three will be on when high beam is selected.

First, you will need to find a diode. Radio Shack has the diode in a package of 4 for $ 2.49. This diode is rated at 6 amps.

Each low beam light is 22 Watts. 22 W + 22 W = 44 W. 44 Watts / 12 Volts = 3.67 Amps. The diode will handle this with no problem.

Once you have your diode, you will need to solder a piece of wire to each end. I used a piece of green 18 gauge wire and a piece of yellow 18 gauge wire. You will be spliceing into a green and yellow wire. There is a silver stripe on one end of the diode. In the picture, I have this marked with a red arrow. You must solder the green wire to this end. Solder the yellow wire to the other end.

Next,

Remove the pod assembly.

There are two wireing harnesses that come from the left handle bar and pass through the pod. One of these harnesses has a green and a yellow wire in it. If you look where it starts out of the plastic assembly by the grip, you should be able to see the wires before they go into the covering. Follow this covering down to an area inside the pod.

Carefully cut a slit( I cut a 4" slit) into the covering to expose the wires.

Use a scotch lock to connect your diode yellow wire to the yellow wire, and a scotch lock to connect the green diode wire to the green wire. Use pliers to lock scotch locks.
Note: You can solder your wires together if you do not like to use scotch locks.

Test time. Verify that it works properly.

Wrap the area that you cut open with electric tap.

Use nylon wire ties to replace any wire ties that you cut.

Put pod assembly back on.

Sweet eh???? So the only thing i did different was I didnt have one 6amp diode so I used 2 3amp diode's and solder them to the yellow and green wires

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since I last posted I have changed it from the above way to the 4 pin relay, I found the above way was getting hot. I have the info for both ways if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Using a relay is the safest bet. With just the diode, you are drawing the current for all three lights from the high beam circut and asking for trouble. with the relay you can draw from the battery .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Relay part number

I have been looking at doing the head light mod for my 07 500X2. I have read the websites and post about using the diode with where they got the diode and part number. I also like the idea of using the relay but noone has given a part number or said where to get the relay. This is my first post and first day on this forum. I appreciate all the information everyone putting out.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Glad my 850 already has the relay for 3 headlights already installed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Got the light mod kit from Mountain-Mods . Not sure I understand how to use the clamps to hook the wires together . Need some help please !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got the light mod kit from Mountain-Mods . Not sure I understand how to use the clamps to hook the wires together . Need some help please !
If you look at the clamps, one wire from the diode kit goes in one wire spot and the through wire spot clamps over your harness wire under the HL pod (on the left handle bar). Don't cut your harness wires. They don't give you a lot of wire with the diode kit, so your splices are very close. Use pliers to snap the clamps tight, till they click shut.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm sold on the relay idea.

Can someone please post some directions and maybe a part number?

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts