Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doas anyone else have to often jump or charge there bought new 570, with 5 month old quality gell battery, its driveing me Nuts, i haveff to alwase carry a Spare charged battery, cause these Terds dont have any back up pull Start, any Ideas, why this is such an Issue, I was just rideing it voltage was 14.4 volts when i shut it off, ile go out in a few hours & it most likeley whont Start with out Jumping it. It has many auqzillery light & heated grips, but they are turned off, most the time, what gives,?

·
Premium Member
9,942 Posts
Sounds like you have draw on the system when the machine is off.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
14.4 volts at what RPM? They don't charge at idle - have to get the engine speed up to about 2400 RPM to break even and over the break even speed to charge. Sounds like you may have a faulty rec/reg or stator allowing AC to get to the battery.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Go to lithium batteries. They are not too high priced anymore and worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
237 Posts
I had the same issue with my 19 570. Luckily my dealer offers lifetime battery replacement and I had to have one replaced within the first month or two.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
98 this is what I used but what are the chances all 3 of your batteries are bad? Any mods not connected to keyed power? Wait your not OP-anyway....

·
Registered
2015 sportsman 570
29 Posts
had this problem with my ‘09 550xp, sold it because I didn’t like the wheeler anyways. Bought a ‘15 570 and was having the same problem. Could only get 7 months out of a battery and they were the $90 batteries from Napa. Finally upgraded and relocated my battery set up on the 570 with dual battery’s and not once in 2 years have I had an issue. In fact I use the 570 to jump start a diesel tractor that has an alternator problem. I have a video on YouTube quickly showing the dual battery set up. username Ron France

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doas anyone else have to often jump or charge there bought new 570, with 5 month old quality gell battery, its driveing me Nuts, i haveff to alwase carry a Spare charged battery, cause these Terds dont have any back up pull Start, any Ideas, why this is such an Issue, I was just rideing it voltage was 14.4 volts when i shut it off, ile go out in a few hours & it most likeley whont Start with out Jumping it. It has many auqzillery light & heated grips, but they are turned off, most the time, what gives,?
It will start, you have to hit the key a few times to bounce the piston and it will turn over but you need to get a sealed battery and get rid of that piece of crap that they gave you with the machine

·
Registered
5 Posts
It will start, you have to hit the key a few times to bounce the piston and it will turn over but you need to get a sealed battery and get rid of that piece of crap that they gave you with the machine
And p.s my 15' 570 base model had never left be stranded ever and have 395 hours and over 2k miles get a better battery!

·
Registered
3 Posts
had an issue with battery or thought i did, it appeared it wouldnt hold charge and went down if anything was on headlight etc even when machine was running had battery tested and it was ok went to dealer he said voltage regulator , he said very common issue and has no idea why there hasnt been a recall this was 2015 sportsman. had regulator replaced no issues since

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
There is no recall because it is not a safety issue. Most failures are unknowingly caused by the owner or operator.

Granted it could simple shoddy cheap parts installed at manufacture, but cheap replacements last as long or longer than the OEM installed part. Most failures may be attributed to excessive demand exceeding the design ampacity of the unit. When the battery is new (i.e. bought new vehicle or off the shelf) it needs to be fully charged before use. I worked in various dealerships and I know 90% or more of dealers do not 'activate' the batteries sold and installed. The battery failure rate is appx. 50% for those dealers.

I run an independent repair shop and sell some new ATV's and lots of new batteries. I 'activate' every battery that goes out the door. I haven't replaced a battery under warranty in 10 years, but I have extended courteous warranty as a customer relations program for those who do not actually have a warranty claim and my battery supplier does not question a replacement battery because my warranty claim rate is so low.

Now when the vehicle is NEW, the battery is under charged to the point of being considered dead by the battery manufacturer when the customer leaves most dealerships. Dealer prep (which you pay for) is supposed to include charging the battery fully before you leave with the vehicle. The charging process takes 4 to 10 hours and 90% of all dealers want the buyer to leave immediately. I refuse to let a vehicle leave until the battery is fully charged, but most of my sales are by order, not on hand at the time of sale. Batteries are kept in stock dry charged. They are not filled with acid and activated until tome of sale. Most of my customers, call ahead and have me prep the battery before they take delivery. This is a local thing, if the purchaser does not have time to wait for me to properly prep the battery, I send them to Autozone, NAPA, Tractor Supply or Walmart to get a wet off the shelf dead battery. The only wet batteries I keep in stock are the Factory Activated sealed batteries and I charge them every 30 days to keep them fresh.

The purchaser of a new vehicle want to use the machine, not perform maintenance, but the first operation of a new vehicle should be PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE! It's the owners responsibility to check the oil, air in the tires, fastener torque, battery condition, etc. before use.

The new vehicle is typically used immediately after purchase without PM. The owner relies on the charging system of the vehicle to charge the battery while in use. Keep in mind, the charging of the battery requires 4 to 10 hours of continuous charge at 1 to 1.25 amps. This is not what kills the rec/reg. It's the amperage of the lights, hand warmers and other DC accessories drawing on the charging system that causes the failure. Below appx. 2400 RPM, the charging system has insufficient output to charge the battery and the DC accessories draw the battery even lower. The charging system firsts supplies all the accessories and when the current draw of the accessories is exceeded, the battery starts to get a charge. The rec/reg is operating at maximum capacity continuously until the battery is fully charged and then it can relax a bit. Under most circumstances, It will be days to weeks or even months of operation before the battery is fully charged. Many times the rec/reg fails during this period and the battery is damaged before the problem is discovered.

If every dealer or every owner charged the battery properly when new or when the vehicle is in storage, a lot less batteries would need to be replaced and rec/reg's would last longer also. Installing a larger or second battery is not a solution. Such a modification just increases the load on the rec/reg and stator which may promote premature failure. If a second battery is installed, the charging system should be modified with a second rec/reg to charge the second battery. The charging system of a motorcycle, ATV, UTV, snowmobile or other power sports vehicle is not designed to CHARGE a battery, it is designed to replenish the charge used during starting and during periods of low engine speed operation when the battery is supplying all the energy.

Just saying......... So far this year I have replaced about 100 batteries and 2 rec/reg's and both rec/reg's were on Harley's that had set all winter. One guy said he had to get push started because the battery was too low the crank the engine. He figured the battery would charge while he rode it. Had to replace the stator and battery also on that one. May have avoided replacing any parts if he just took the time to charge the battery first.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
And Polaris batteries notoriously come low on water, like 1/2 full. Make sure to check and fill with distilled water💧💦

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
And Polaris batteries notoriously come low on water, like 1/2 full. Make sure to check and fill with distilled water💧💦
That's another thing - as a battery discharges from setting, the liquid in the battery is absorbed into the material of the plates - the battery must be first charged to drive the liquid out of the antimony of the plates before topping off with water - the process of charging separates some of the water in the acid into hydrogen and oxygen and that is why batteries get low on water.

The liquid level of the battery is an indicator of how long the battery has set without being charged or recharged. A sealed, gel or lithium battery doe not have this indicator as the case is opaque. The level does not change and cannot or should not have water added to it. Adding water to the acid of a sealed battery changes it's specific gravity and damages the battery. Lithium batteries are dry and need no water.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok. I have a theory about this. We recently traded in both of our 2015 570 Sportsmans for 2020's. The 2015's had battery issues, and never a charge or drain issue. First, I can't check the fluid level of the factory batteries (caps above cells) without removing the battery. As we all know, that isn't a fun process. I replaced both factory batteries after a year with Yuasa sealed batteries. When I had problems with one of the Yuasa's, I had several conversations with their support staff. Yuasa's are good batteries....their operating temperature spec is +14F to +140F. Under normal running conditions, I measured +185F on the battery cell closest to the exhaust pipe. Two 2015 570's and a 2018 570. I used a cheap Harbor Freight laser-guided temperature gun, but verified its results with boiling water and ice cubes, and it was right on. I think Polaris has a heat issue that destroys batteries. Not sure of the spec for lithium ion, but that's an option worth considering. They don't like cold temperature starts, and the off-season chargers for the Li ion's are a different beast. FYI, I double a small rope thru the bottom of the S-hook'd battery/cover "bungie" strap, and grab and pull it down to more easily remove the strap and battery. I just let it hang all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Battery Tender, can’t say enough good about this cheap but effective item
View attachment 140426
One of the best maintainers.
Kept a standard battery on my atv good for going on 4 years. One on a garden tractor going on 6 years.
Only battery drain problems I've ever had resulted from something drawing power when all shut off. Unless the battery was just bad. If the battery charges and passes load test then something is drawing on it.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Not sure of the spec for lithium ion, but that's an option worth considering. They don't like cold temperature starts, and the off-season chargers for the Li ion's are a different beast.
One of the best maintainers.
I have Li batteries in most of my toys - never had a problem starting in winter, but I am not an avid cold freak - I venture out when below freezing when necessary - I use a snow blower to remove snow - I ride the quad in snow occasionally, but do not look forward to it - my off road motorcycle has electric start and a Li battery - I will occasionally go racing in the snow, but I don't make plans to to it - if I signed up for the race and it snows, I ride, but if it has been below freezing for a week and the snow is more than a foot deep when the race is announced, I forget about it. Yeah, the Li battery takes a special charger and I have the Battery Tender brand - it has a switch to change to conventional batteries so it can be used for both.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts