Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 polaris xplorer 400 mysteriously loses gas. It sometimes smells like gas after it has been sitting for a while, yet I see no drips on the floor ever. In any event, I thought it would be wise to shut the fuel off when I am not riding it. There is a three way knob on the left side of the atv, which I believe is what controls whether it is off, using the main tank, or drawing on a reserve. Is my understanding correct? Also, I do not know which direction controls which function. Can someone tell me which direction is for what function? I would appreciate it greatly!

Tina

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I have looked everywhere on that thing and could not find any indicator whatsoever. Do you know which position is to use just the fuel reserve?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I bet the carb float needle is sticking and it is putting the gas in the crankcase of the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep. makes a lot of sense...but the reaon I asked i because the are no words on it that say on, off or res...nothing at all which I thought was odd....I hate to leave it on res, but I just don't know if up or down is where it should be...at least i now know how to shut it off while I am figuring out where the gas is going. I will have to look and see if I can locate this needle thing..thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
mine was doing it the float was bad it was leaking out of the bowl on the carb.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On my 95 magnum up is reserve, forward is off, and down is on. Don't know if yours is the same or not but I would imagine it is. You could always drain the tank down and see which one it still runs on as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The needle and seat that are referred to above are in the bowl of the carburetor. When they get dirty or wear out they leak fuel. If it is leaking into the crank case you can have major engine damage. Check your oil level. If you are unsure of how to remove the carb and properly clean and test it find someone who can do it for you and maybe even teach you how to do it. It's not very hard to do, but needs to be done well and correctly for it to run right.

·
10,389 Posts
For all petcocks on Polaris...to the side is off, down will be "ON" and up will be "RESERVE".
Honda is just the opposite for "ON" and "OFF" but most ALL petcocks are "OFF" when turned to the side.
The only exception I'm aware of is Suzuki which has a weird automatic vacuum controlled cut off that causes many problems and has a "PRIME" position when turned to the side allowing fuel to flow all the time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2004 Polaris atp 500 HO, carb is brand new and it's leaking out of the bowl (hose), and I have no petcock, the dealership ran the hose straight from the tank to res, then carb. Is my carb getting flooded and leaking cause I have no petcock or should the carb be cleaned?

·
10,389 Posts
I have a 2004 Polaris atp 500 HO, carb is brand new and it's leaking out of the bowl (hose), and I have no petcock, the dealership ran the hose straight from the tank to res, then carb. Is my carb getting flooded and leaking cause I have no petcock or should the carb be cleaned?
Yep, both

·
10,389 Posts
What do you mean "2-3 times bigger than the original"?
The o-ring UNDER the needle seat is what usually leaks. You pull the seat out with a pair of pliers, install a new 0-ring and push the seat back in the hole with your thumb. If the inside of the seat where the needle sits is corroded or rough, use a q-tip with a little metal polish to slick it up so it will seal when the rubber tip of the needle is pressed down by the float when the bowl gets full.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What do you mean "2-3 times bigger than the original"?
The o-ring UNDER the needle seat is what usually leaks. You pull the seat out with a pair of pliers, install a new 0-ring and push the seat back in the hole with your thumb. If the inside of the seat where the needle sits is corroded or rough, use a q-tip with a little metal polish to slick it up so it will seal when the rubber tip of the needle is pressed down by the float when the bowl gets full.
Ok perfect. I did check the o-ring and seemed fine. This is a new carb but was worth checking out.

So now what lol? Why is my carb overflowing? I am clueless.

·
10,389 Posts
I still don't understand??
Does the float and needle not fit the hole?
You mean the carb is clean and reassembled with original parts and still overflows?
If so, you got something else going on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, the needle fits the hole perfect. I even tested this but blowing air in the fuel fitting and the needle stops the air but I push on it gently. This is why i am confused, everything looks perfect.

and yes, the carb is clean and reassembled ( not with original parts) and still overflows. This is a knockoff brand on Amazon and i did notice that the float, needle, seat are not the same as OEM.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Ok perfect. I did check the o-ring and seemed fine. This is a new carb but was worth checking out.

So now what lol? Why is my carb overflowing? I am clueless.
Obviously

It's not magic - it's mechanical something is not right - either the float level is wrong, needle is not shutting off fuel, float is not floating correctly, float is contacting something inside the bowl preventing proper movement, overflow pipe is cracked, drain screw is loose, float needle seat is not sealed to the carb body, fuel pump diaphragm is perforated and fuel is trickling in the vacuum line, fuel supply line is connected to a float bowl vent, there is debris or foreign material in the needle seat preventing the needle from seating and shutting off the fuel - did I miss anything? Yeah, I think I did - is the carb overflowing while the engine is running or just when parked and not running? If it is overflowing only when parked; try shutting the petcock off and the problem will probably magically disappear.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts