Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at used Polaris ATVs for a first time purchase. I am small myself so the size of the mid size units appeals to me plus the fact I already have a 4x6 trailer and one of the two I mentioned will fit in it without modification.

Pricing for both is similar as is the condition of the ones I have looked at. I'm 52 years old so acceleration is no big deal but I will be using it for archery hunting in the AZ mountains so off road ability is.

The Hawkeye has a smaller engine and no low range gear, has the independent rear suspension and is about 90 lbs lighter so maybe the loss of the low range is no big deal?

The 330 Magnum has the larger engine, has a low range but is heavier, holeds a gallon less gas, has a solid rear axle and is bigger overall so may require modifications to my trailer.

In a perfect world I would love the 2008 Sportsman 400 which is a mid size but there are none for sale in my area.

Any thoughts or ideas for a newbie? I am selling a 2002 Kawasaki KLX300R dirt bike to help finance this purchase so off roading is nothing new to me.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Have you looked at the 500 sportman. there the best all around machine for a midsize. great suspension,high and low range plenty of power to do whatever, plus the price is pretty reasonable for used or new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 500 is a foot longer, wider(which isn't a problem as I have 49" clear in my trailer, and heavier. I know it has more power but I am trying to stay with the 71" overall length that the Hawkeye or 2008 and newer 400 Sportsman has so it fits my trailer. Plus I'm only 5'6" on a good day so the mid size fits me well.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hawkeye

My wife had a Hawkeye and it was a great little machine. The Hawkeye is no speed demon but will climb like a mountain goat. I would go with the Hawkeye for hunting. MY wife traded hers for a sportsman 400 HO same size as Hawkeye just more motor. If you could find a used 400 HO I would go with it. The 400 has more power in the same size package

·
Registered
19 Posts
My daughter has the Hawkeye 300 and I think it is a great little machine it gets great milage compared to the rest of the familys quads. It s light and even though it does not have low range it still went every where we went with the bigger quads with no problem

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
tough decision.......trailers can be bought ,sold or made longer :) since you're looking at a magnum,that's more along the full size line ,maybe you should take a 500 sportsman for a strole. i'm vertically challenged also and i thought the 500 was big for me but looking back and even now i know it was money well spent. you need to decide, do you want to buy something you might end up getting rid of in a year or so or buy one and end up keeping. the only real advice i can really give you is if it's an automatic ,it needs to have 400 cc minimum. the 330 just didn't have enough ummph in high range

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm 52 also and .............

I strongly recommend the 550 XP! Nice machine, great ride and plenty of power for us old guys. Spend the extra $$ and get a new one. I just paid 7K plus tax for mine in Washington State last week.

I have been very impressed with the ride (on soft shock setting) and basically the whole machine.

Anyway, my 2 cents............................(<:

A :turtle:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 4x6 trailer fits perfectly behind my 2002 2 door Kia Sportage and will eventually fit behind my 24' fifth wheel and F-150 so a bigger trailer isn't really an option.
I have my 2002 Kawasaki street legal KLX300R for sale to finance the quad so money is somewhat of an issue, probably $3k tops even when I throw extra cash in.
There seem to be some good deals in the $3k range locally. I wish a 2008 400Sportsman would come up for sale at a reasonable price, I would even borrow a little to get one of those since its smaller in size yet powerful enough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up with a 2005 Sportsman 400. Its only got 1118 miles on it and came with a Warn winch and rear trunk with the two smaller side bags attached. The owner has three others so he took a 600, my son was on a 800 and I was on the 400 and we did a 5 mile 4x4 trek across country before I bought it. Nice guy!

I loaded it on my trailer which is 49" wide and 72" long inside and its only 3-4" too long. I think I'll push the front rail out 4" instead of trying to lengthen the back which would require much more work. The front/back balance seems good so the tongue shouldn't be to heavy on the hitch.

So far I love it! Plan to take a 70 mile round trip trail ride this Saturday up a mountain to a place called Crown King AZ. Really looking forward to it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If I was you, I would get the magnum, or look at a trailboss 4x4. The reason I say this is because if you hunt like I do you will find that without low range the belt and clutches will wear really fast. A straight axle is a disadvantage, but if you ride the bike properly, you can work around that. I have a 1987 trailboss 250 4x4, and the engine is rated for 32 hp. A brand new 500ho is 34, and a 500efi is 36. Plus, my bike fits in our 4x6 trailer, and weighs tons less than a sportsman. 22 years old, still starts first pull. Only problem is that the 250 'boss is a two stroke which can get a little noisier. But if you are easier on the gas like myself, it's perfectly fine for archery hunting, which is what i use mine for up her in Canada :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts