Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 300 Xpress was very hard to start. You had to crank it for several minutes and it would finally fire. I pulled the cylinder and had it bored and new piston and rings. Compression is great. It started and then is doing the same damn thing. I found the spark plug bad. It is still hard to start. The oil is injected directly into the carb from what I see, What I think was that the plug was bad and the carb was getting pumped with oil. After it starts and you shut it down, it starts fine until it sits. Any ideas?

Dewey

·
Registered
90 Posts
maybe the choke is out of adjustment, do you flip the lever so it goes all the way over past straight up

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This startin g to piss me off

OK, I rebuilt the carb. I had a hard time getting it started. It started and ran fine. Took it for a ride and it ran about a mile and bogged down and quit. I pulled it home with the golf cart. You can smell the gas in the exhaust. I cranked on it for about 5 minutes (I know it is bad for the starter) and it slowly fires off and runs. It runs perfect. Shut it down and it starts back up on first turn over. Took it out and had the same thing happen. I am wondering if the CDI is not going bad on me when it warms up. I am sure i am not the first person in Polaris history to have this problem. New bore and piston, new plug, carb rebuild. It is sitting there idling while I write this. What do you guys think? Any experts on this forum?

Dewey:cowboy::silvia:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like there is still a carb problem if you have gas in the exhaust.
Would the mixture be rich and smell of gas if it was not firing properly. When it starts, it will idle forever and start every time warm. First 2 stroke I ever had that did not have red valves.

Dewey

·
Registered
90 Posts
maybe your exhaust is plugged up there are plugs u can take out on the bottom of the pipe by the back wheel, and yes there are plenty of experts on this forum

·
Registered
90 Posts
so what does the new plug look like after u take it out? did it run good for about a mile and then you had to pull it home then it took awhile to start again? unhook the black wire that goes from the cdi to the rev-limiter just for the heck of it you never know on them things or hold in the override button and see what happens

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
What is compression at? I've seen plenty of 2 strokes that start hard cold and start/run fine warmed up. Could also be a leak around the carb boot or a crank seal. And if your mixture screw is set incorrectly it could be very rich at idle, especially cold. Should be around 1 turn out on that machine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts