Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you guys rack up a lot of miles on their XP. I purchased my atv 4/4/13 and just hit 3000 miles yesterday. My only problem so far has been a torn axle boot from a tree branch. I got lucky and the dealer replaced the axle under warranty! I had 9000 miles on my 08 500 efi when I traded it in and look forward to putting a ton of miles on this quad as well. Hell of a machine!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
I'm about 250 miles behind you but will probably be there before long. I do about 1,000 miles a year. Not a lot by some people's standards, but around here that's a bunch.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
8004 miles on my 09 550. I don't even want to go into what all has been wrong with mine. All I will say is it broke the bank and POPO basically laughed at me when i ask for help.

Ronnie

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you put 3000 miles on in 4 months? my goodness where the heck do you ride to?
The Pocono area in Pa. I`m lucky and can ride right from my house. But not sure my bones can keep up with this pace at 39!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8004 miles on my 09 550. I don't even want to go into what all has been wrong with mine. All I will say is it broke the bank and POPO basically laughed at me when i ask for help.

Ronnie
Did all the major stuff hold up? Like the engine, transmission and front end?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm about 250 miles behind you but will probably be there before long. I do about 1,000 miles a year. Not a lot by some people's standards, but around here that's a bunch.
Bob, Is the 850 the machine you have about 2700 miles on?

If so, what if any issues have you had?

Thanks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put some Big Horns back on till I get the new STI Outbacks to test sometime in September.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I hope my machine makes it to 3k miles. There are so many lower mile 850's crapping out. And you rarely hear of high milers.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Put some Big Horns back on till I get the new STI Outbacks to test sometime in September.
Great pictures Chris!

What size are the bighorns you are running in the pictures?

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts

Thanks!
Yes, it is my 850 with 2,700 miles on it. I've only had one major problem with it, and that was caused by a seemingly rare broken part. The timing chain tensioner broke which caused a fair amount of internal engine damage with the timing fluctuating all over the board. The engine had to be rebuilt as a result, all of which was covered under warranty so it cost me nothing. Other than that, really nothing out of the ordinary to report. Had oil in the air box that was so common with the 2011 models, but it was an easy fix and not a big deal at all. I've replaced all the a-arm bushings once and replaced brake pads once. Since those are normal wear items I don't consider them an issue.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
670 Posts
RubiconChris, have you checked the lower ball joints? My brother in laws 2011 850 and my 2012 850 touring needed replacing at 2xx miles. That is two hundred and change, not 2000 miles. That was with stock wheels and tires on my 2012. Maybe 2013 Polaris put more durable ball joints? XPs are still great bikes. Probably the most comfortable atv to ride ever built.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Thanks!
Yes, it is my 850 with 2,700 miles on it. I've only had one major problem with it, and that was caused by a seemingly rare broken part. The timing chain tensioner broke which caused a fair amount of internal engine damage with the timing fluctuating all over the board. The engine had to be rebuilt as a result, all of which was covered under warranty so it cost me nothing. Other than that, really nothing out of the ordinary to report. Had oil in the air box that was so common with the 2011 models, but it was an easy fix and not a big deal at all. I've replaced all the a-arm bushings once and replaced brake pads once. Since those are normal wear items I don't consider them an issue.
Thanks for the detailed response...How many miles were you at when you had the engine go down?
Also, when did you put the a-arm bushings in...Did you go back with stock ones or aftermarket?

How do you like the Big Horns? I am gonna replace my stockers soon, kind of want to get your thoughts, I am torn between Mudlite XTR's, BigHorns, and Terra Cross

·
Registered
35 Posts
two long weekends up to my camp and I have racked up 1000 miles and heading up tomarow should get 500 more by Monday love the 850 not one prob with it

·
Registered
460 Posts
two long weekends up to my camp and I have racked up 1000 miles and heading up tomarow should get 500 more by Monday love the 850 not one prob with it
Dang that's hard to believe! Not saying you're lying at all, but that's crazy.
Where the heck is your camp.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response...How many miles were you at when you had the engine go down?
Also, when did you put the a-arm bushings in...Did you go back with stock ones or aftermarket?

How do you like the Big Horns? I am gonna replace my stockers soon, kind of want to get your thoughts, I am torn between Mudlite XTR's, BigHorns, and Terra Cross
If I remember correctly, it was just over 2000 miles when I had the engine problem. I've done a lot of searching and haven't been able to find another one that had that problem. Guess I'm just special. :)

I think it was around 1700 miles when I did the bushings. I just stuck with the OEM. If they last me that long, I'm good with them.

As for the Bighorns, I think they are about my favorite tire. The Rockers seem to do everything a little better, but I'm still not convinced they are $250 a set better. Unless something new and better comes out, I will probably go back to the 'horns when the Rockers wear out. They just work and ride great under all riding conditions, and you can't wear them out.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I got My 550 on 6-11-11, have around 2200 miles right now, plus alot of snowplowing time. Other than regular fluid changes and grease all I've done is one CV boot that got a small stick punched through it. A-arm bushings loosened up a little after 4-500 miles, but haven't gotten any worse since then, keep em greased and they are fine, have no issues with handling or tracking down the road. Been a great machine, My next machine will def be another 550, probably gonna go with a 550 Touring EPS for my Girlfriend to replace her 2000 Magnum 325 2x4.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Awesome thread. It's nice to see people bragging about their machines instead of bitching because the plastic can be scratched, and the axles are breaking with 30" tires in a swamp! Lets keep it going

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RubiconChris, have you checked the lower ball joints? My brother in laws 2011 850 and my 2012 850 touring needed replacing at 2xx miles. That is two hundred and change, not 2000 miles. That was with stock wheels and tires on my 2012. Maybe 2013 Polaris put more durable ball joints? XPs are still great bikes. Probably the most comfortable atv to ride ever built.
I jacked up the front tried to shake the tire/wheel and everything is tight so I`m guessing everythings still ok. I have an extended warranty so if any of those front end parts wear out are they covered? Ball joints, Tie rod ends, A-arm bushings?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts