Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend getting a 14 Sportsman 850xp and wants to know if he can put 30x9's on all four stock wheels?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'm not sure if he'll need a lift or at minimum some "trimming"..... but he WILL want to also "Strongly Consider" a clutch kit (~$300)!!! Or he'll chew up / glaze belts like they are going out of style.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Even with 30 inch zillas?
What?

Clutch? = Yes! But do what ever you (he) want..... it's your (his) money!

Trimming? = Maybe just a little bit??? Not 100% sure myself, but may get close to the floor boards. Hopefully someone else will come along to confirm or that has them/that size to verify if it's needed or not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He was asking if he needed a clutch kit with 30 inch zillas? He had 30 inch zillas on his 570 with no clutch kit.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Okay.... I guess I've learned the "rule of thumb" to be "Plus+ 2" or more inches over factory size and you should be looking for a clutch kit".

Maybe the power loss isn't noticable on the 850..... I do know that 26" (+1") ITP MudLite XL's on my 800 is not noticable at all! But when I put them on the 400 (425) they sure were!!

Wait and see what other folk opinions are too.... and guage the "opinions" as you will. Like they say.... "Opinions are like @ss-holes, everyone has one!!" :D

I would also suppose you don't want to hear that you should consider beefier axles either, with that large aggressive mud tire..... :dunno:

·
Registered
737 Posts
They will fit my 31's rub a little even with my lift. They will rub a little on the rear floorboard when your suspension compresses. I ran mine without a clutch kit running 28 highlifter 28" radials and one year with the 31's. haven't had any problems. However I am planning on getti g a clutch kit. Sounds like on Sunday I may pick it up from Ryan.

If your friend has a heavy thumb even with a light tire he may want to upgrade axles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He has learned to take it easy. lol Now he is being a pain in my butt. He is worried that running 9 inch wide all around that the rear will not look the same as the front cause the rims are 8 inch wide in the rear and 6 inch wide in the front. Dont ask I tried to disown him

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I run 10s all around, looks the same to me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I run 10s on all 4 wheels. I like my set up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts