1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased a 2002 325 magnum that had engine trouble
took it apart and found that the rod bearing had spun
the crank is okay but the rod i would like to check
does anyone have a inside measurment i was going to take it to my machine shop and see if it can be resized

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
4 Posts
01 325 specs

Hope this isn't too late. I just rebuilt a mag 325 for a friend. Same problem, caused by broken oil line. Since I couldn't get the rod specs I had to buy a new one. Lucky for you I check the dimensions on the new rod and saved them.
Small end 18mm
Big end 45mm
center to center 119.5mm
Order a new undersize bearing Pt # 3086799 Individualy packed so you'll need 2 of them.
This is a .25mm under bearing but make sure the rod is refinished and the bearing installed and torqued. Then take inside measurment to turn the crank.
Other specs
Bearing clearance .0007" to .0025"
Rod torque 29-33 ft/lbs
Head bolt torque Tighten to 18 ft/lb then back off evenly (I use 1/4 turn) then retorque to 11 ft/lb, then turn each head bolt 90 degrees.
The nut that holds the sprocket on the crank is left hand threaded. Use a blunt chisel on it. It worked fine for me.
I took the measurements with a good vernier cal. inside wouldn' go that small
Good luck, God speed and look both ways B4 you cross the street.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have a 2000 325 magnum. Is there any difference between the crank specs of an 2000 and 2002 crank? What are the sizes of oversized bearings available. My bearing spun and scared the crank and connnecting rod.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi

I have a 2000 325 magnum. Is there any difference between the crank specs of an 2000 and 2002 crank? What are the sizes of oversized bearings available. My bearing spun and scared the crank and connnecting rod.
I'm in the same boat as everyone here. I have spun a bearing. I have not taken it all apart yet to see the damage.

If you look at the part numbers for the cranks I believe they are the same.

Double check the pars numbers on the babbit website.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hope this isn't too late. I just rebuilt a mag 325 for a friend. Same problem, caused by broken oil line. Since I couldn't get the rod specs I had to buy a new one. Lucky for you I check the dimensions on the new rod and saved them.
Small end 18mm
Big end 45mm
center to center 119.5mm
Order a new undersize bearing Pt # 3086799 Individualy packed so you'll need 2 of them.
This is a .25mm under bearing but make sure the rod is refinished and the bearing installed and torqued. Then take inside measurment to turn the crank.
Other specs
Bearing clearance .0007" to .0025"
Rod torque 29-33 ft/lbs
Head bolt torque Tighten to 18 ft/lb then back off evenly (I use 1/4 turn) then retorque to 11 ft/lb, then turn each head bolt 90 degrees.
The nut that holds the sprocket on the crank is left hand threaded. Use a blunt chisel on it. It worked fine for me.
I took the measurements with a good vernier cal. inside wouldn' go that small
Good luck, God speed and look both ways B4 you cross the street.
It looks like they sell a .25 (O/S) .25 (U/S) and .50 mm (O/S) .50 (U/S) bearing for my 02 325.

How does this work? The crank and rod both get turned by .25 to get the proper fit?

Did the lack of oil do anything to the crank bearings? oil pump?

I'm about to finish taking mine apart and wondered if I need to worry about those things.

How much did it cost to have the shop turn the crank and fix the rod?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a 03 trailboss 330 that the oil line came off and trashed the whole motor pretty much. you may want to check you oil pump and make sure its still good. as for bearings and everything they should be good. so many people had these problems with oil lines that you think polaris would recall them or fix the motor for free or something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts