Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 325 trail boss will not run with the the air cleaner on or the air top on without a filter. there is also oil coming into air box from the breather tube. It will run without the filter or the box top off.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
So the problem is too much fuel. Assuming that your air filter isn't plugged and the air box lid doesn't have any restrictions, I am betting that you can fix the problem with a carb rebuild. Good chance that the needle valve is leaking so it is always trying to empty the fuel tank into the carb. Makes it run really rich so with the air filter and air box together it can't get enough air.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Did this happen suddenly - during a ride, or ran one day but not the next?

If it will idle, but not accelerate, then the carb needs to come off - might be as simple as the main jet fell out of the holder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bike was sitting for 3 years. Started it and it ran but poorly, found oil in the air box and on the air filter from breather pipe. Now it will run without the air filter or cover, put the cover on with no filter and it stalls. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Let's presume the gas was left turned on - so the engine is full of gasoline - if you haven't already changed the oil get ready to and get a large drain pan - drain the oil out, see how thin it might be and if it smells like gas. Install a new filter, put two quarts of oil in the engine, start it and let iT idle a minute, shut it off and wait about 30 seconds to check the oil (while you are waiting, take the dipstick out and wipe it off, the dipstick has to be screwed in when checking the oil) - if it's not screwed in it will be over full.

Might be the crankcase is full of gas and when you are trying to run it the gas vapor is being sucked into the intake through the crankcase vent hose - that would also explain the oil on the air filter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all, I did look at the one in question and there was a pool of gas underneath, thanks again and I will let you know when I get into it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts