Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a used 330 Magnum, runs fine. It began failing to crank (starter relay) and I purchased one online. I installed it one wire at a time to ensure the wires were correct. When I tried to connect the ground wire to the battery, it began cranking the engine, and the key was in the off position. It is unknown if the prior owner had done some sort of wiring shortcut and I have been unsuccessful at finding the wiring diagrams.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Red (positive) from the battery goes to one of the big terminals along with one small red wire. Small red wire goes to the small terminal. Big wire from the starter goes to the other big terminal on the relay. Ground should go from the battery to one of the bolts that hold the starter in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

Th wiring diagram helps, and after working on it for hours this morning, am convinced the prior owner has done some type of modification. I will try working on it with the wiring diagram.

As I mentioned in my original post, when I tried to connect the ground wire to the battery, it tried to start the engine, and it also did it when I had the starter switch completely disconnected.

For now, I have it working so I can start it with the pull rope.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
The only way the starter motor could run when the ground wire is connected is if the wire from the starter motor went directly to the pos terminal, the solenoid contacts are welded and the solenoid conducts with out being energized or the solenoid energizes upon the battery being connected to ground. If the solenoid energizes when the battery is connected, either the wht/red wire is crossed with a red/wht wire or the starter switch is defective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts