Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charged old battery, started three times then the old "click click click".
Replaced the battery with new fully charged one.
Now the Neutral light just flickers and will not turn over. Yes I checked the polarity.
External volt meter shows 10.6 volts with key on, 13.9 with key off. Measured at the battery.
Anyone else have similar problem? ( stored indoors when not in use )
 

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
Joined
·
3,392 Posts
1609454561677.gif
to the forum
1609274900724.gif


Your question is now logged into the queue and the next available form member we will answer you shortly
 
  • Like
Reactions: Luann and timr

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,828 Posts
Charged old battery, started three times then the old "click click click".
Replaced the battery with new fully charged one.
Now the Neutral light just flickers and will not turn over. Yes I checked the polarity.
External volt meter shows 10.6 volts with key on, 13.9 with key off. Measured at the battery.
Anyone else have similar problem? ( stored indoors when not in use )
Yeah - you got a defective battery - either not properly activated or a shorted cell - possibly a poor connection, but it sounds like the battery is the culprit.
 

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
Joined
·
3,392 Posts
You said above 13.9 volts key off, 10.6 volts key on. You have to figure out where the 3.6 volts are going? Something is drawing power as soon as the key is turned on. At 10.6 volts that's not enough voltage push to keep the stater selonid engaged and is causing your chatter.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Luann and timr

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
Joined
·
3,392 Posts
Jump the starter and verify it is not locked up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Luann and timr

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
Joined
·
3,392 Posts
Any and everyone can see a puddle of antifreeze on the garage floor and see the radiator is leaking, and would know how to fix it.

Any and everyone can see a puddle of oil on the garage floor and see the oil pan drain plug is leaking, and would know how to fix it.

The reason so many people post electrical problems and issues is they can't see electricity. You could feel it if the voltage is high enough, but 12 volts won't shock you, or get your hair to stand up.

To properly diagnosis an electrical issue you need a tool, a volt ohm meter to see the electricity pudding on the garage floor.

If you own something that consumes electricity, and you want to work on it yourself, invest in a good volt ohm reader so you can see the problem, all them electrons laying on the floor!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Luann and timr

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,828 Posts
The reason so many people post electrical problems and issues is they can't see electricity. You could feel it if the voltage is high enough, but 12 volts won't shock you, or get your hair to stand up.
Wet your hands with salt water or saline solution (eye drops) and grasp one post of a fully charged 12v battery with one hand and the other post with the other hand and let me know if you feel something.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top