Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure what I am doing so here goes. I have a 350L polaris 4x4 I thinks it is a 1992. I thought it needed a starter so I put a new one in also a new battery and it still just clicks. Do you have any idea what to check next. Before installing the new starter you could hit it with a hammer and it would try to start this is why we thought it was the starter. We bought new ones and I want to give this one to my grand son. Please help.:hmmm:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a way to test the new starter if I take it back out? How do I test the solenoid? Would it still click if it might be the start button? Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Use a screw driver and jump across the terminals in the solenoid. It will spark and startle you, But if starter turns over that's your issue. ToY can also use jumper cables and put power directly to the + terminal of the starter to test it. Button is likely good if solenoid is clicking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
polaris 350 L 1992

Sorry to sound so dense. Did you mean if I cross the solenoid and the starter turns over is the solenoid bad or the starter. I appreciate your help. When we put the new starter on it still clicks so I gathered from what you are saying that the start button is okay if it still clicks. Is this right. Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you use something metal to touch both large terminals on the solenoid and the starter turns then the solenoid is bad. If the starter doesn't turn then the battery is weak, starter is bad, or you have a bad connection.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hows the bendix?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts