Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I recently got a 91 350L on the very cheap and have been rehabilitating it.

Replaced a trashed starter bendix and it starts and runs great. While I was in there, I Noticed that the inside of the recoil housing was rusty. Topped off the coolant, put in a splash of fresh gas and went upon my first tour of the yard. I pulled it back into the shop for a look over and noticed that it was leaking coolant from the drain of the recoil housing. Assuming it was the water pump and counterbalance seals, I started tear down. I have gotten to the nut that has to be removed from the crank to allow the inner cover to be removed. Is there somewhere to source this tool or what have others used to remove it?

Would love to be riding this thing soon!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I have done some more searching and they call it a slit socket? I found one on fleabay for $60 but hate to invest that in a one time use tool (considering thats half what I have into the machine at this time also). Also had read where some had used a punch to loosen the nut but mine won't give up its bond with the crankshaft.

Has anyone else found a better price for this particular socket? I have comtemplated building one from a piece of 2" pipe and making the notches in it then welding a socket inside the pipe but know my time is worth something too. If I could source one for $30-35 I'd spring for it but havent yet. Placed a call to the local polaris dealer yesterday but they havent even returned my call..... :damnit: :fart:

·
Registered
665 Posts
I used to have a 400, but had somebody else work on it because he had the tools.

I believe this is what you are talking about, and it looks like it is $60 too.

Slotted Nut Socket

I doubt you will find it cheaper, but good luck.

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I had found similar info about it on other sites while doing to searching. I have a friend that has a buddy that works at the local polaris shop and is trying to get the socket for me to borrow. Hopefully that will work and keep my project wheeler on the low dollar rehab plan!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I had found similar info about it on other sites while doing to searching. I have a friend that has a buddy that works at the local polaris shop and is trying to get the socket for me to borrow. Hopefully that will work and keep my project wheeler on the low dollar rehab plan!
I understand man. It's really hard to justify a $60 tool. $20 would be reasonable :). Good luck with that beast!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts