Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 500 4x4, the 4 wheel drive works in reverse and sporadically in forward, I have narrowed it to the shift lever switch, can I bypass the switch and make it hot to the handlebar switch, how do I do it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a 97 500 4x4, the 4 wheel drive works in reverse and sporadically in forward, I have narrowed it to the shift lever switch, can I bypass the switch and make it hot to the handlebar switch, how do I do it.
Same issue with my 1999 335.......

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
First things first: go to the link below to download a copy of the service manual for your bike! Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/1996-1998 - All Models

In the PDF: on pg 594 of the document it starts the testing procedures just to make sure you are correct that the problem is at the gear selector switch.

IF the gear selector switch is the culprit: go to pg 619 of that document and it has your wiring diagram. Down the bottom right corner is the portion for your gear selector and then tracing it, it runs to the AWD coils via the Gray/White wire. It is possible it is broken somewhere from that switch to the terminal board so I'd check that as well!

In the end, after exhausting all those paths and you still want to override it: in the wiring diagram at Center-Left you'll see the part that says "key switch" and is a circle. It has a red and red/black pair on it; just down and right from that circle is a square that the red/black wire goes to for the run/stop safety switch on your handlebar. From that switch it turns to red/white to power most of your systems. Follow it from your handlebar to the terminal board. Once by the terminal board mark it with tape or sharpie. Then trace the gray/white wire coming from your AWD switch on the handle bar over to your terminal board. Once by the terminal board make it with tape or sharpie. Then get two wire splice/couplers and a piece of RED wire that fits the length needed. I recommend these List: Search for 'wire splice' | O'Reilly Auto Parts you'll need 2 of them; one for the red/white and one for the grey white. The new RED wire will go on the inside of each of them where the stopper is. The existing wires will go on the outside, then use pliars to press down the bridge and snap the holder close. Can use electrical tape to seal it as needed. Nice thing about those is if you want to remove it, just use needle noses to open it up.

FYI that red/white wire WILL NOT be live until you have the key ON and the safety switch to RUN.

Hope all that helps ya out!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did as you say, and it works great. It was the gear selection switch. It solved another issue, The bike would idle nice in forward or neutral, but as soon as you put it into R it would rev, sometimes almost too much for the breaks to stop, it was not anything mechanical, after making the selector switch bypass, and having it dead, it no longer does this. I am always curious as to what the cause was; any thoughts.
Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My only guess is that it might be the speed limiter going bad. However it usually is used to slow/stop the engine at a certain RPM, I have no idea how it would actually cause it to rev up unless there is some faulty issue in it. Only thing that leads me to that though is that, besides a light bulb, the only other two things that look to be affected by you selecting Reverse on your model, is the AWD system and the override system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts