Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 polaris sportsman 500 HO, The machine only has four wheel drive in reverse. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem. Thanks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well not to be rude and actually trying to be helpfull, there is a ton of posts around here that deal with 4x4 issues. You need to read a little more so that you can post more information so that we can help you in a right direction. There are many different situations depending on what you have going on.

Your question as it is reads somthing like " I have a car but it doesnt run, whats wrong?"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2009 polaris sportsman 500 HO, The machine only has four wheel drive in reverse. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem. Thanks
What other kind of information would you like? I have searched the forums and have not found a fix. 4wheel drive works in reverse only, not in fwd.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well I did a quick search and just read about a guy with similar problem. He had some water in the front diff. He changed it out and it was better.

Have you changed the fluid in the diff? If it works in reverse then its likely not an electrical issue. The sprague cage could be broken in the hilliard so it only goes one way. Does it make any noises? The armature plate could be warped and the teeth bent so it only grips in reverse.

What have YOU done to try and figure out whats going on? As the bike is in your possession only you can eliminate some of the possibilities. Then you can give us some more information and hopefully we can help you further.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well what you just said is way over my head, I am a so so mechanic and I have know idea what your saying. Looking for some laymans terms!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Well what you just said is way over my head, I am a so so mechanic and I have know idea what your saying. Looking for some laymans terms!
lol......I don't mean to laugh , but you guys are not having fun here are you!

Usually the fix for this issue is to drain and refill the front hubs (center of the front wheels) You will see the drain allen key bolt head, once drained add oil (it only takes a little) then turn the hole so it's at around 9 or 3 o'clock , if fluid starts to come out, you have enough.

You can try draining the front "gearbox" , it may have some water in there, seemed to help the other fella, I'm not sure how though?? Whatever works.

If it's what Bigness is talking about I'm not sure either! :) He's talking about the guts inside the wheel hubs that I just explained how to drain and refill. I haven't been in there yet so not sure, but if you took one side apart carefully, you could probably see if anything looks broken. Most of the internals can be replaced with John Deer parts also, cheaper and stronger.

Usually the issue is "no 4x4" at all ,not just in reverse, hopefully some gurus will give you more ideas....good luck.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Okay lets start at the begining.

What were you doing when it stopped working? Does it make any funny noises in the front end?

Your bike has a central hilliard not external ones on the hubs. This is located inside the front differential. The differential is the thing the front prop shaft goes into and the two front drive shafts come out of to go to the front wheels. There is a plug and a drain. Drain the front diff and change the fluid. This will likely solve your issue.

If it is making any sort of noises then you have likely broken the sprague cage which is the unit that locks up to allow 4x4. It is rollers in a cage with some springs. The rollers get pushed out by the armature plate and lock the front differential that gives you 4x4. armature plate and roll/sprague cage are #5

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
How do you know it only has it in reverse? Have you jacked the whole bike up off the ground so all 4 tires can run in fwd and reverse while activating 4x4?

·
Registered
919 Posts
If he was correct when he said it was working in reverse, then the front diff is good. I would be willing to bet his speedo isn't displaying H or L when in those gears. Since the speedo actually controls the AWD system, those must be displayed for the system to engage. It should only work in reverse if the yellow override button is held in. If it's working without holding the button there are other electronic issues.

If the speedo doesn't display the correct gear, or not at all, then the transmission selector switch (a rotating switch on the transmission) is bad. Easy, 5-minute fix, but the part will be about $70.

Stew

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol......I don't mean to laugh , but you guys are not having fun here are you!

Usually the fix for this issue is to drain and refill the front hubs (center of the front wheels) You will see the drain allen key bolt head, once drained add oil (it only takes a little) then turn the hole so it's at around 9 or 3 o'clock , if fluid starts to come out, you have enough.

You can try draining the front "gearbox" , it may have some water in there, seemed to help the other fella, I'm not sure how though?? Whatever works.

If it's what Bigness is talking about I'm not sure either! :) He's talking about the guts inside the wheel hubs that I just explained how to drain and refill. I haven't been in there yet so not sure, but if you took one side apart carefully, you could probably see if anything looks broken. Most of the internals can be replaced with John Deer parts also, cheaper and stronger.

Usually the issue is "no 4x4" at all ,not just in reverse, hopefully some gurus will give you more ideas....good luck.
Thank you for your reply, I will check into what you suggested.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks alot to everyone for your input, it ended up being the gear selctor switch (rotary switch) U replaced it and also changed the front diff and the trans fluid with polaris brand and everything works fine now. Not sure I had to buy polaris brand but did it anyways. The diff was only 9.3 oz and the tranny 32 oz. Goodluck with all your repairs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts