Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I get a Friday afternoon quad, or is there only a disc on the right rear wheel?
What's even more of a kick to the cajones is that the caliper mount is on the left rear axle...just no caliper or rotor.

What does get all four discs?

·
Registered
426 Posts
That's the way it's supposed to be. Since the axles are locked together, the one caliper still stops both rear wheels.

I believe the 2 up machines get the 4th caliper because they're designed to haul more weight.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't that make 4 wheel disc brakes a bit of an oxymoron than?
How about 3 wheel disc brakes? :p

·
Registered
426 Posts
You would think so, but since the wheels are always locked together, all 4 wheels still have brakes even though there's only one caliper in the rear.

It's really no different than my old style Scrambler which has one brake in the center that stops both rear wheels.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i was told the 14's had all wheel brakes

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a 13 touring and only has one brake on the back. The 14 models have 2 in back.

You see the rear diff. Is always locked. So both wheels have the same power. So when you brake the rear brake will equally stop both wheels since there locked.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i dont agree with it.... because it puts alot of stress on the left hand rear axle. diff but my rear pads last almost twice as long as my front pads...i only get a hundred miles maybe 2 hundred out of a set of pads... maybe it has somthing to do with turning 30 inch laws :p :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah

My 2013 Scrambler 850 only has the one disc on the back and I can see 2 disk on the back of the 2014 Scrambler 1K.
I get a lot of chatter when braking hard with the 2013 and hope that the 2014, 2 disk help eliminate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
i dont agree with it.... because it puts alot of stress on the left hand rear axle. diff but my rear pads last almost twice as long as my front pads...i only get a hundred miles maybe 2 hundred out of a set of pads... maybe it has somthing to do with turning 30 inch laws :p :D
Well, in that case they should scrap the 850 engine and put in a 250 instead, because your right thumb puts far more stress on that axle than the brakes. :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All interesting points.
I for one rarely use my back break. With the little bit I have been able to get on my 3 hour old quad, I have found it quite easy to drive straight through the turns. The back end stays planted so much better than my Outlander Max.
It almost reminds me of my Outlaw. Now that was a blast to drive through the turns.

I also wonder if a 2 brake system would be too powerful/overkill. I have encountered issues with quads in which the rear axle wants to lock up too easily. ???

·
Registered
531 Posts
yai totally get that and it puts more pressure than braking.. but it putting equal pressure from a central location... there is alot of stress being transferred through that diff instead at the hub

·
Registered
531 Posts
My 2013 Scrambler 850 only has the one disc on the back and I can see 2 disk on the back of the 2014 Scrambler 1K.
I get a lot of chatter when braking hard with the 2013 and hope that the 2014, 2 disk help eliminate it.
what size rims are those

·
Registered
424 Posts
The X2 with Turf Mode has four brakes. That is because the rear differential can be unlocked.

IMO one rear disk puts no more "stress" on the differential or anything else than the engine does. Don't worry about this.

Your rear pads last longer because on all four-wheel vehicles, the front brakes do the lion's share of the braking.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ this. my '13 850 Touring only has a RR caliper. provisions are there on the left, but that is probably because they interchange with other models that offer it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
rear brakes provide about 20% of total stopping force when going forward, so there really isn't that much stress on the diff or axles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 2011 850 X2 has 4 calipers. My 2008 touring also had 4 calipers. Both had turf mode which unlocks the rearend.

·
Registered
554 Posts
rear brakes provide about 20% of total stopping force when going forward, so there really isn't that much stress on the diff or axles.
Correct. On any vehicle the front brakes are doing most of the work. Assuming you're going forward of course. That's one of the reasons many cars had/have rear drums and front disk brakes. Disks are way more effective, and the fronts do all the work. My 500 Sportsman has no rear brake caliper at all (I need to fix it), but it stops just fine. Zoom along at 25mph and try to stop with just the back brakes. Just give yourself plenty of room.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts