Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it Appears the fluids in my 09 sportsman 500 h.o. (45hours) (325miles) have never been changed, I have changed the motor oil once at 25 hours as per the manual with synthetic 0-40 oil but I was wondering just how bad I may have worn out my internals on this machine, that's 4 year old trans and front diff oil and the motor oil was about 2 and a half-3 years old before it was changed....

Runs like a champ and rarely gets driven lately as you can see with the mileage above, but I can only imagine the moisture buildup sitting in the garage cant be good mixing with the fluids.

Any comments or insight would be greatly appreciated!! :s

p.s. when I did the first oil change the drain plug magnet had tons of micro shavings I suppose, nothing gritty or large in size, not sure if that's normal break in wear or what.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply fellas I will change them tonight. Hopefully didn't do much damage

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
With that low of mileage and hours, you should be ok. Like mentioned, change them out ASAP and ride it. If you don't run stabilizer and use ethanol fuels, add some seafoam to your tank while you're at it. You can even add some seafoam to your oil before you change it and it will help remove moisture from the crank.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You worry way to much. I know guys who change motor oil only and get thousands of miles out of their ATV's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts