Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son rebuilt my 400. He didn't put anything on the threads. Now, one of the studs has become one with the jug. I thought you were supposed to use loctite, or antiseize compound to keep it from gauling or corroding. I thought he cross threaded it, but it screwed them in with just his fingers. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
I wash them with solvent to get the oil off them then lube them with a drop of kerosene when assembling - I worked on a 400 for one of the members on here and one cylinder stud nut was frozen to the stud - the stud unscrewed with the nut, but it was in a location that made it impossible to remove from the cylinder and it had a ground wire attached - the ground wire was loose on the stud and the nut could not be tightened, so it had to be removed and replaced. After using every trick in the book including welding a 1.5 x 1.0 inch steel bar to the exposed end of the stud below the cylinder to try to unscrew the nut on the top side of the cylinder, I ended up cutting the stud flush with the cylinder base and grinding the nut and stud together at about a 45 degree angle to gain enough clearance to lift and tip the remainder of the stud and nut out of the cylinder base hole. I then installed a new stud and nut when the engine was assembled lubing the threads with a small drop of kerosene prior to torquing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts