Polaris ATV Forum banner

400 2 stroke oil pump

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  lateburd 
#1 ·
I would like to try not using the oil pump and just mixing the gas. My original motive was to see if it would smoke less but Polaris recommends 32 to 1 mix ratio. I am thinking that it would smoke about the same with that mix. Is it difficult to disable pump? I have heard that simply bypassing the pump is not a good idea as it will burn out running dry and cause problems down on lower end. what are others experience with this?

#2 ·
If you insist on disabling the oil pump without completely removing it, you need to connect the oil pump outlet to the inlet and assure the line is full of oil (an air bubble at a high point is not a problem - oil will flow past the air) - that way the pump does not run dry, the oil simply recirculates from the outlet to the inlet. Plug the hole where the oil line attaches to the intake to prevent air from entering and causing lean running and premix your fuel at no less than 32:1 - 24:1 is better for the engine (it will produce more power and last longer) - use non-ethanol 87 octane fuel and any brand or quality of two stroke motorcycle/ATV oil or use an oil that will mix with alcohol. Synthetic oils do not smoke as much, but the exhaust runs wet - mineral oils smoke more and create carbon that clings to the exhaust requiring periodic 'decarbonizing' - vegetable oil (Castor Oil) is the superior lubricant and most castor oil formulations will mix with alcohol, but Castor oil creates more carbon than mineral oil.

I guess I'm lazy - I prefer to put injector oil in the oil tank and pure gas in the fuel tank and just ride letting the mechanical's take care of the mixing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.