Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 400 Sportsman for my hunting trips out west. I recently bought a Kolpin rear rack with a drop basket and a Kolpin bow boot. We finally had a decent day in Wi, so I went out in the garage to see how it will all fit. I was expecting to have to fabricate some brackets for attaching the drop rack and bow boot, but I see now this will be a project. Has anyone seen any type of a metal rear basket that works with the existing lock and ride attachments in the rear racks on the Sportsmans? I will use the baskets for hauling stands and for hauling my meat back to camp.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Which basket did you get? Part number? I can check and see what's available to mount it with the lock and ride setup. I know they have a line of stuff out that works, but it isn't very big yet and they are still making more things in the near future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which basket did you get? Part number? I can check and see what's available to mount it with the lock and ride setup. I know they have a line of stuff out that works, but it isn't very big yet and they are still making more things in the near future.
Its a Convertable rear drop rack - part 53350 on Kolpin site.

thsnks for hrlp.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I'll see whatI can figure out for you tomorrow. They do have some lock and ride brackets that might work, but ghee weight of what you're going to put in it might be an issue for any lock and ride style mount.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to make some brackets that will bolt to the frame where the bumper would bolt to. Then I will just mount basket to the new brackets. I think the frame should give me enough strength. I have welder and equipment for fabricating new brackets. Seams like a lot of work though, but dont see any other options at this time.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
don't forget the dust in the back

anything i don't want getting dusted up good (depending on your area's drought level) i put in the front rack. just a thought to keep in mind...

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The lock and ride style brackets are not rated for the weight you will be hauling in that basket. Sorry. There is aluminum backing in the plastic racks so some u bolts should work great on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last year I shot an Elk with my bow 6 miles from camp up a very rocky rugged road that lead to the top of the mountain. I quartered the elk and put the meat in plastic for the dusty trip back to camp. Had a really hard time kerping meat in position on the factory racks even with rack extensions. I think my idea of mounting the basket to the bumper mounting area will work. I know i will need to protect the meat from all the dust. Also I could add a brace from the trailer hitch if needed. Any ways im gona give it a try.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Last year I shot an Elk with my bow 6 miles from camp up a very rocky rugged road that lead to the top of the mountain. I quartered the elk and put the meat in plastic for the dusty trip back to camp. Had a really hard time kerping meat in position on the factory racks even with rack extensions. I think my idea of mounting the basket to the bumper mounting area will work. I know i will need to protect the meat from all the dust. Also I could add a brace from the trailer hitch if needed. Any ways im gona give it a try.
Yea a support from your trailer hitch should do the job with the extra weight. I would do that from the start. Please share some pictures if you can when you get it all figured out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea a support from your trailer hitch should do the job with the extra weight. I would do that from the start. Please share some pictures if you can when you get it all figured out.
Yes, will do. I picked out most of the material yesterday and will start fabricating today.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just a thought, and not sure if it would really matter, but if you're going to haul any meat with something from the trailer hitch would the exhaust get to the meat in any way? I've thought about using a hitch hauler or something on the back but was concerned about the exhaust fumes getting to the meat. I even thought about tacking on a piece of metal that might help direct any exhaust downward away from anything I'm hauling. Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Im going to make some brackets that will bolt to the frame where the bumper would bolt to. Then I will just mount basket to the new brackets. I think the frame should give me enough strength. I have welder and equipment for fabricating new brackets. Seams like a lot of work though, but dont see any other options at this time.
I think this would be your best bet for what (weight of the items) you want to haul! May even be a market for something like this...... a "shelf style" bracket that mounts to the rear bumper bolting locations. :idea: :hmmm:

Then I'd use the rear racks "rack extender" mounting holes to fasten the front end down.... or a spring loaded toggle bolt anchor or j/hook bolt in the lock and ride mounting holes..... or even a set of "homemade L&R" mounts. :dunno:

Good Luck with the build up..... and post up some pictures when it's complete!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this would be your best bet for what (weight of the items) you want to haul! May even be a market for something like this...... a "shelf style" bracket that mounts to the rear bumper bolting locations. :idea: :hmmm:

Then I'd use the rear racks "rack extender" mounting holes to fasten the front end down.... or a spring loaded toggle bolt anchor or j/hook bolt in the lock and ride mounting holes..... or even a set of "homemade L&R" mounts. :dunno:

Good Luck with the build up..... and post up some pictures when it's complete!!
This is the rear bumper bracket I made. It sesms to be plenty strong to carry a couple quarters of Elk.I will paint it when the weather warms up. Next I need to figure out how im going to mount my Kolpin Bow Boot to this set up.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts