Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While i have my 400 torn apart for a carburetor issue, I figure I should ask this question too. My 2004 Sportsman 400 has an electronic starter that will not budge. When i turn the key, I just here a click, nothing else, just one click. If I use my pull chord, the atv starts right up (aside from the carb issue I have right now). I've changed and charged batteries and it makes no difference. Had a friend do the voltage test and said that the proper juice is going to the starter, just won't turnover. I am a great handy man with home stuff. but that is where my brains are...I know nothing about this stuff. So, what steps should I take now to fix this issue?

A) it's been like this for about a year - I've just been pull starting until I could fix it.
B) I've heard a new started is like $400. True? If so, can I get rebuilt ones or repair?
C) I've heard the labor to get to the starter would be pricey b/c the starter is in the worst place possible? Is it easy to get to?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you find a solution to your issue?

I have a 2001 Sportsman 400 and I have the same issue. Had no power to the starter and no lights etc.

I changed the solenoid, starter, start switch on handle bars, I checked relays all good, Check Continuity all for various wires and connections and all is good.

Battery is good no issue there. I can pull start it, and I can start it if I jump the solenoid

Just order a new CDI, (which is most likely not going to help)

No power going to the starter unless I jump the solenoid.

Have power at the ignition switch as well. Tried to follow the Electrical Test in manual, didn't seem to help

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do. Feel like its something simple that I'm overlooking

·
Registered
4 Posts
Now have the lights working again, but not sure what I did other then check various connections and leads. Still no power at starter

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
For the OP, if you have 12v at the starter when the key or start switch is activated, then the starter is bad. Only option is to replace it. Well not the only option I suppose. Just did 2 starters. One for my MOSE unit for which I had the 325 engine starter. The other for an 01 scrambler. Just for kicks, I took the starter apart. Parts to replace what was needed....Rear bushing, Brush assy and the front bearing/seal were about $260 from Polaris. New Starter from Polaris is $389. Moose starter $185. We went with the Moose starter. There are other cheaper starters on Ebay, but I was hesitant to try something from a manufacturer I didn't know.

Dzanier: Your issue might be wiring. Battery power comes from the battery side of the solenoid to the key switch and start switch back to the small terminal on the solenoid. Which should cause the solenoid to operate. Allowing battery voltage to the starter. If you have eliminated all the other parts, the wire from the start switch to the solenoid might be broken. Check also the ETC switch in the right handlebar. Don't remember is that has to be adjusted right to make it crank the engine or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks -Will try and double check. The starter is bran new and it will turn over if I jump the solenoid. The Solenoid appears to be working fine as well, since I can hear it click in position. I printed out a large electrical schematic and I have been tracing all the wiring to the solenoid, Ignition switch, start-on-off switch and the ETC, ignition coil, voltage regulator and every wire had continuity and this is what confuses me. Checked the ignition switch itself and its working fine. Will go back and try to double check the the wire from the start switch to the solenoid and will double check the ETC as well. This project is getting a little frustrating

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
If you can hear the solenoid click but the starter doesn't turn, then the solenoid is probably bad. When you jump the solenoid, are you going from the battery side to the starter side? Or battery side to the small terminal? The solenoid is basically just an electromagnet. The click you hear is the magnet moving the pin. That is supposed to cause a connection between the battery side and the starter side. Could have arcing, corrosion etc inside and it's not making the connection. That click tells me that the wiring is fine and the switches are working correctly. Your first posts said you changed the solenoid. I have found after years in shops that new doesn't necessarily mean good. You could have gotten a bad part....it does happen sometimes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine kind of had the same problem... I had to open up the pull start case, and there is a part that kind of springs out and conects the starter to the pull start gear... Anyways this part can lock up and it will not spring out (do to rust or wear) to fix it I had to spray wd40 and other solutions to free it up... I don't know if the 400 has the same part though... Let me know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts