Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 or 97 model 425 2WD. It is in good condition, and I have owned if for about 12 years. I recently rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel pump. The engine starts very easily, but under large throttle openings, it runs lean. I covered part of he snorkel opening (about 20%), and it runs very well. It idles and accelerates and runs on top end, too. I have checked out the entire intake system and don't see anything wrong. All connections are good, the filter mount isn't broken. I can't understand why it is running lean.

Also, when it's idling, it will die for no reason, and then it starts up instantly. Idle is smooth, with no surging. Every time it dies, it restarts immediately with no hesitation.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'd check for carb boot or other intake leaks. Tiny cracks can lean out the mixture quick. If that doesn't pan out, then make sure the carb slide is working properly, that controls the lower mid to upper throttle, like 2/3rds of it all. Luck! :cowboy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The slide is good. I checked it out carefully when I rebuilt the carb. But now it won't start, so whatever was causing it to die and then start back up immediately is evidently done now.

Uggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I just got it all put back together, too.......getting really tired of this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts