Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I noticed a couple weeks ago that my high beam headlight wasn't working. I took off the pod and noticed that one of the wires that goes into the high beam harness had broken off. I called my local polaris dealership and they told me that polaris won't just sell the harness by itself that you have to buy the ENTIRE kit and it costs $440!!!????? Really? There has to be another way or I guess I won't have a high beam headlight b/c there's no way I'm paying that. I will provide a couple pictures of what it looks like. There isn't much wire to work with, but maybe I can reattach it somehow or get someone to solder it? Anybody have any better ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just put a crimp on connector on it. About $.03 at the hardware store.
Yeah, I thought about that. I guess I'm just going to have to be careful b/c there's not much wire to work with coming off the harness.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A mouse chewed through my wire right in the middle of the harness under the pod. Glad he only chewed that wire. It seemed the repair would involve a lot of issues since I cant splice it, so I decided to live with out a high beam light. I would give the soder a try, or after market lights

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A mouse chewed through my wire right in the middle of the harness under the pod. Glad he only chewed that wire. It seemed the repair would involve a lot of issues since I cant splice it, so I decided to live with out a high beam light. I would give the soder a try, or after market lights
What kind of aftermarket lights are you talking about? Would they come with a new harness assembly?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I would think you could solder a couple inch wire lead onto the harness and crimp the two ends back together. The black and gray wires should come apart if you need to access top of connector to solder. If you can run a solder gun & solder, this should be no big deal.

Best of Luck!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just put a crimp on connector on it. About $.03 at the hardware store.
Yeah, I thought about that. I guess I'm just going to have to be careful b/c there's not much wire to work with coming off the harness.
I would just splice some more wire into it. Cut the original harness open if you need to get access to more wire and then just tape it back up. Put a little dielectric grease after you splice it or heat shrink the connection. Easy Peasy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi beam

I would just go to a auto parts store and take your bulb and plug harness and try to match it so the bulb plugs into it and then cut the wires with enuff length to use a double female wire connector i did this for my dad's honda and never had any problems since.You can solder but don't forget the shrink wrap- keeps the water out!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
You may also be able to find the complete connector and re-crimp the new connector on the harness. It looks similar to a GM weather Pak connector. They are available through a company called Hi-Line.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If you want to splice a piece into the harness,I'd remove the short part from the plug and crimp on a new terminal to the end of the splice.
There is a tool you can buy to remove the wire ends from the plug. Works for round or flat connectors. I had to buy one for doing an upgrade to my Harleys wiring system. Only place I could get one around here was from my buddy who sells Snap-On Tools. It was about $30 if I remember correctly. But that was better than paying someone to do it for me. Its come in handy several times over the years.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I happened to notice that someone noted that it looks like a GM connector. It is identical. i've done it. I used one off an impala before. It was a 2002 chev impala LS fog light harness. It has the same connector and 8 inches of wire on it. costs about 8 bucks as a replacement. The local polaris dealer noted that most polaris quads use GM style connectors. I had to use a 3-pin connector from a pontiac sunfire throttle position sensor to replace the headlight "plug" on my dad's 2008 sportsman 400. works like a charm.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I happened to notice that someone noted that it looks like a GM connector. It is identical. i've done it. I used one off an impala before. It was a 2002 chev impala LS fog light harness. It has the same connector and 8 inches of wire on it. costs about 8 bucks as a replacement. The local polaris dealer noted that most polaris quads use GM style connectors. I had to use a 3-pin connector from a pontiac sunfire throttle position sensor to replace the headlight "plug" on my dad's 2008 sportsman 400. works like a charm.
The connector from the impala will work for your hi and low beam lights. sorry, didn't specify!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the bulbs have same connectors as some of the fog driving lights used on cars trucks if you take the bulb to your local auto parts store they may have a replacement with 6" wires on it that you will ne able to solder on in place of the bad one.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Anything "fog" light bulb in automotive application involving a bulb like yours. An 880, 881, 883, 891, 886 etc. etc. etc.. it's all the same plug base. pretty much all automotive places sell a universal harness for them. According to your pic, it's only the part that plugs into the bulb that you were trying to salvage, but you dont have to. 8 bucks versus 440... easy decision.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took it to a buddy of mine that works at one of the local Powersports shops and he took the plug apart and accessed more wire. From there he crimped connectors to it. Works great now. I will probably go get a new GM connector though now that I know how cheap they are. Thanks so much for the help guys!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts