Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a diesel engine likes to run forever. My Diesel just doesn't want to shut off. Originally through a previous thread I relplaced all of the electric regulators. Still nothing. So I took the cover off the head to look at the fuel cuttoff valve solenoid. My guess is that the fuel cutoff solenoid has seized. On the right of it is the manual cable cutoff, and that lever is froze too. (shoud have put 2 + 2 together as the manual cutoof, and the electric key/kill switch both don't shut it off) I have not removed the assembly as I don't want to undo the two bolts to see springs fly everywhere. Anyone else out there ever have this same problem, and what is the fix?

Thanks
:gruebel:

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's not as bad as you think. There is a detent in there, the solenoid and yes, springs that work as a return for the cable, but if you are careful when disassembling it (taking those bolts out), and do so slowly, everything should remain intact. Do you have a service manual for your unit? If not, I highly recommend getting one so you can see what I'm talking about. Also, do you plan on replacing the shutoff cable, or are you confident you can just reuse what you have? I have been able to salvage froze up cables by soaking them in lubricant and then hanging them up straight for a day or two so the excess lubricant bleeds off. This usually frees them up. The solenoid will likely need replacing...I've never been able to "clean one up" and get it to work...moisture is usually the culprit. When re-applying the cover, I sealed mine with permatex to help keep moisture out after I made the repairs and I haven't had to replace another solenoid yet. Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barretone, thanks for the advise. I do have the maint book for the diesel. I did pull the solendoid out today and it was froze. I think I could have slavaged it, but I destoyed the wires taking it out. I think I am going to just reasemeble it and only use the manual shutoff. For $180 for the new solenoid, I can't see a reason to replace it. And I don't want it to do it again in a few years. The manual cut off does just fine and if that doesn't work, then I have the compressiond release lever. The solenoid is just one less Diesel Demon that I need to worry about!

·
Registered
44 Posts
barretone... you seem to know a lot about these quads I have one that runs for 10min and shuts down and won't start back up for a couple of hours
any thoughts
mike
Yep...sell it to me for $100 and go buy a gasser...LOL. No, seriously, I would look at your fuel pump first, and then next, your fuel ignition module. That thing can go bad and give you intermittent problems. It's a bear to find the electronics on these, but if you research the threads here, you'll see we've dug some up at Babbits, on eBay, and a few other sources. If you put juice to that pump, and it works without fail, odds are it's an electronic issue. The final possibility is an injector plug up, but that doesn't sound right given your examples.

·
Registered
6 Posts
dieing diesel

thanks for your in put I'll see what I can figure out:cowboy:
I thought I would try you cause we are in ohio but we offroad in mich.
we are 7 miles from border
mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts