Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 sportsman 800. The 4wd isnt kicking in for some reason, when i flip the switch the dash says its in 4wd though. The shaft from the motor is turning, and the smaller shaft going from the main shaft and into the diff seems to be turning as well. Both CV axle shafts appear to be turning into the diff as well. I changed the oil but nothing improved. Any ideas as to what to try next? I'm wondering if there would be anything wrong on the inside of the diff?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I hear there is a cage in the front diff that is common for breaking, there is a upgraded aftermarket cage if that is the problem.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Did you use POLARIS DEMAND DRIVE FLUID??? The front diffs are fussy and require that !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i used Polaris Demand Drive Fluid, i like to use what the manufacturers suggest to avoid problems at all times, costs more but better peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Make sure that front diff is getting 12v when the switch is turned on. If it isn't you have a wiring issue.

I would find the plug and disconnect it Its by the diff and Apply 12v to it from the battery and see if the front wheels will lock and turn. You should have it in the air so all the wheels can spin. Fronts wont lock unless rears are spinning.

Out of curiosity does it work in reverse with the override button pushed in? If you can not make it work by applying voltage directly to the diff then you likely have a cage or dirt issue in the front diff. They come apart really easily and not many parts in there.

If you take it apart, make sure the armature plate is flat and the magnet has good even pull on the plate when energized.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help so far, I tore into it last night and found that the fresh oil change on the diff was already dirty so I dismantled the diff and cleaned it real good and re-installed it. That seems to work as the front is engaging now. My electrical connections were fine before but I think they were damaged during the process so I need to get a new connector, and buy a seal set to fix the new leak in the diff. But overall I'm quite happy its working now and wont need a huge repair. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Scrambler 500 4x4 not always engaging

I have an 06 scrambler 500. Until this winter the 4x4 always worked perfect and always engaged. But this year I’ve been plowing and even thought I’m in AWD it’s only spinning the rear two wheels. But it doesn’t do this all the time. Sometimes it will go into 4x4. I’m pretty sure th 4x4 is working 60% of the time or so. But not 100% like it used to. Any ideas why? It was apart about a year ago and the armatures for the magnets on the awd were cleaned. I’m stumped please help!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts