Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004.5 polaris 600 and I recently had both ends jacked up and in 2wd and all 4 wheels turned as if it was in 4wd. Any tips or tricks to resolve this problem

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Change the fluids in the front diff. This will clear up most issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did.but it was sticking before I changed the fluid.so maybe it will unstick.
What about the wire going to the diff to lock it.is there a connector to break the power going to diff to see if it turns loose.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If its stuck, sometimes going backwards can unlock the Hilliard. If the fluid change was dirty and see if you have any parts of plastic in the oil. If you do you may need to replace the Sprague cage. This is a last resort actually.

The system works by providing 12v to the magnet that locks the Hilliard and engages 4x4 if the back wheels spin a fifth of a turn. The system is actually very robust and there is not much that can go wrong aside from the fluid, magnet and the cage.

·
Registered
105 Posts
This goes for the newer ones too right (change fluids and will clear up most problems). Also after how many miles should you change your fluid?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I do mine every 50 to 100 hours. It depends a lot on your riding style and conditions though. More water and mud, more often. If you are doing trails 100 hours is more than enough or annually.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 4wd indicator comes on and off as it should but diff stays locked.should I change the diff fluid again or is there anything to put in there chemical wise to free it up

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE UPDATE!!!!
Putting the ATV in reverse and then going back to low or high will take it out of 4wd.any reason for this?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
some times if the diff is dirty..it may take 2 fills to get any contaminents out...drain it..fill it....run say 10 hours an drain an fill again..see what condition the fluid comes out...when I do my hubs..i drain an fill...then when i have 100 miles or say 8 hours..i drain an fill again..it is like using the new fill to clean an flush ..then add new fresh fluid..an you know the internals are clean....

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
UPDATE UPDATE!!!!
Putting the ATV in reverse and then going back to low or high will take it out of 4wd.any reason for this?
Hrmmm, think I said that:

If its stuck, sometimes going backwards can unlock the Hilliard. .
It happens because sometimes the rollers bind on the diff and don't unlock right away. It was much more common when the Hilliard's were in the individual hubs. I would do as al53 said and drive it a few hours and change again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE UPDATE!!!!
Hrmmm, think I said that:

If its stuck, sometimes going backwards can unlock the Hilliard. .
It happens because sometimes the rollers bind on the diff and don't unlock right away. It was much more common when the Hilliard's were in the individual hubs. I would do as al53 said and drive it a few hours and change again.
Thank you for your response.people like you are priceless.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thank you, I think? You are welcome. I have learned a lot here myself.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
At that point in time I would pull it and take it apart the front diff and examine the cage, springs and rollers in the system. If it doesn't unlock, it means its binding and something is out of whack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts