Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New here, need a bit of advice from anyone who has replaced the front coil hub. I have a 2001 Scrambler 500 4x4 and the left side was destroyed when the previous owner fliped it. Got all of the bearings and seals on the way and everything looks ok (other than bearings and seals), but I am unsure if I need to replace the coil hub. I found a place to get it for $55, but it is not clear to me as to how to remove the old one. I do have a Hanes manual but it is limited in info on this subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did do several searches prior to posting this thread as I did not find the info I am looking for. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can check the coil by applying 12volts to the two wires. Take the metal ring(armature plate) from behind the hillard clutch or something metal and it should stick to it. Not sure about replacing the coil my Clymer manual doesn't have anything on this subject either. You might consider getting a used strut assembly from ebay or something. I've seen them a lot on there and cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried replacing one on my scrambler unsucessfully. there is a lip arond the hub that holds it in place and when i tried to pry the new one on it broke. ouch there goes 80 bucks. Be carefull if you try it yourself it is very fragile.needless to say i still have three wheel peel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your responses. I got some info. from a tech at Stubbs 59 who was exctremely helpful. The outer ring is removable, the blue around the edge is some type of Loctite. the middle ring is the electromagnet and the inner ring is fixed. To replace this you would need both the outer ring and the electromagnet. I've decided to set the gap between the inner and outer rings as described in the documentation the Stubbs 59 tech printed out for me and test. I've replaced all seals in the hub and hub strut, all hub and hub strut bearing, garter spring, cleaned up the coller cage and rebuilt my cv join, as well as replaced the crossbearing. Just waiting on my armiture plate and yolk. I'll update once complete.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts