Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I press the button to go into 4wd nothing happens. I have no idea where to even start to find the fix .... any help is appreciated

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ok first does the 4x4 light come on when you push on the switch? You need to look for power going to the switch. If the light is on then you can go to the next step.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no a light doeas not come on. I had the switch apart and it looks fine. However what if the light is burnt out?
One time when I was in reverse using overide button the 4wd did engage but that was it
I am about ready to bring it to the shop

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've seen this often, need to check the switch on the transmission(or shifter). The shifter switch is a switch that tells you if its in Neutral or Reverse or Forward, well it tells the bike not really you but it does have an indicator on the dash. Power is sent first to the gear selector(transmission,shifter) switch then to the 4x4 switch. If it's not working properly then no power to the 4x4 and no power to the front hubs to engage them. What Model are you working with a sportsman or scrambler, etc? I can tell you where the switch is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its is a 98 explorer 400
Niether reverse or the neutral lights illuminate ( the two lights are on the "dashboard") and the little light in the switch did not illuminate when I had the switch apart.
Sure would be great if all it was is the switch. I looks like about $500 to fix the four wheel drive.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ok that model has the same shifter as mine. I would bet your $500 that your issue is stemming from electrical, not mechanical. Depending on your skill level, with a wiring diagram(will help) you can trace and check for 12v power, starting with the transmission shifter switch, with a test light or volt meter. There should be 4 wires that run into the transmission shifter switch, one of these will or should have a 12volt source. If you have the 12v source there at the switch then most likely it's the switch. Look at the gear shifter box, at the back side there will be four wires running into it. If you have a red with white stripethis will be the 12v source. If you want I can tell you a simple way to bypass the shifter switch(if that's the problem) so you will get power to your 4x4 button. It should have power there with the key on. I would like to see you keep your $500

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK thanks for the help!!!!!
I bet the machine should not start in gear which mine does in reverse and forward. I had to put a new key/ignition in and that was not the fix so tomorrow I will take the wires out of the shifter ( I see where they are) and let you know.
Again a REALLY appreciate your time and suggestions

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can check that red/w wire by cutting back the insulation just enough to get the tip of the meter lead into it. the other meter lead needs to be grounded. On mine the switch was actually good but where it went in the shifter box was worn out, so I just bypassed it. Now I have 4x4 anytime I need it and I don't have to mess with that stupid reverse override button plus the 4x4 will not disengage when I shift to reverse. I hope this helps, Later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I tested the red and white wire just before it goes into the shifter and it does have power to it. So at this point you think i should just bypass the the shifter swicth? I have not tested the switch on the handle bar. Is there a way to test that first or being there is power down at the shifter swicth does that mean the push button is working?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just took apart AWD swtich on handle bar I put my tester on it and can fin no power in any of the wires?

·
Registered
483 Posts
OK that is right. Power goes from the shifter switch to the awd switch. Put the shifter into forward gear, with key on, check for power at awd switch. If there is no power at awd switch then the shifter switch is bad.

·
Registered
483 Posts
A couple of ways:1. requires removing the hood as so you can access the terminal block. It will look like a mess, but on the right side of the block look for the strip that has all the red/w wires(8 pairs of red/w terminals). Remember this is your power source. See if there is a unused terminal on that strip. You will want to hook a Jumper wire from there. Make up a short piece of wire 4" or so, with a terminal end on both ends. Now on the left side of the terminal block there will be 2 pairs of terminals labeled GRY/W. This is the other connection point.
So in review: RED/W to GRY/W
Now you will have power to the AWD anytime the key switch is on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Or you can make the connection with any other RED/W to GRY/W, by splicing into them. Can use some of those blue crimp connectors for the splice. Or Just cut the red/w and gry/w near the shifter and use a butt connector for the splice.(only if you don't care about hacking your wires. I used the Jumper at the terminal block.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well that did the trick!!!!!
I am amazed the AWD button still funtions so I can turn the AWD on and off - which is good.
Funny thing now if i press the overidr button the REV light illuminates so it most diffinantly is the switch on the shifter.
Thanks for all your help and happy new year

·
Registered
483 Posts
No problem, glad I could help. Now go have some fun!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a similar problem on my 98 scrambler 400 (just bought it today, like 821 "If it ain't broke, I can't afford it!"). 821, I just looked at the micro on that shifter, looks like it is fully servicable? Cheap to repair?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi Jmd, your shifter is different than ours but I see that from the micro it has the 4 wire switch so the same would apply in your case. The bypass method will work for you as well if you decided to go that route. Looks like parts are reasonably priced for repair. I would disassemble and check the switch for functionality. It may also be wear in the slot where the switch sits; as was in my case. My switch was actually good it was the socket that was worn and wasn't pushing the switch good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i am having a similar prob with my 99 xplorer 400 3 wheel drive when going forward and only 2 wheel drive in reverse override switch dosent work anyway i can bypass it thanx

1 - 20 of 51 Posts